In need of a little assistance.

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
Hi everyone.

So this morning I turn on my PC and to my wonderful surprise my system is not using the graphics card, and my screen's graphics are all wonky (little dashes, pixel spots, lines, etc.) along with an epic max 800x600 resolution. I have the error: Code 10, Device cannot start. The card's fan turns on, so power seems to be getting to it, and the system detects it as it is listed in the device manager, but it won't use it. I'm running Windows XP and the graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT. If you need more info just let me know, as I'm on my laptop right now.

I tried uninstalling the drivers, reinstalling, no success. Uninstalled hardware and reinstalled. Nope. System restore. No. Pulled out the card, put it back in. No. Switched card power plug in. No. Adjusted BIOS like the Nvidia site said. Nope. Nothing I can find on the subject seems to work. I'm really hoping that my card isn't toast, because then I think I'll have to cry.

I do know that my current power supply is inefficient for my card, but I'm not sure if that's the problem (or part of the problem) given the card has run perfectly until now. I need this PC fixed. So, help with this would be great. Also, I've looked up a few power supplies, but I'd like to know what you would suggest.

Thanks!

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Check the voltages of the power supply. If you don't have a means to accomplish that get another PSU from a nearby Best Buy (or similar) ... nearby so that you can take it back after done.:D

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
My old 6800 GT did this last year, I turned it on one day, screen turns into a multi coloured splattered mess, 800x600 is still good going, normally it's 640x480, since it's probably dropped back into VGA mode with either 256 or 16-bit colour, if this is the highest resolution it supports (drivers won't allow any more) then it's probably stuck in the equivalent of 'safe mode'. I tried mine in different computers, nothing, put it back in, computer wouldn't even post. If it's a sudden failure, I doubt swapping PSU's is going to do anything. If you can plug it into another computer, or ask someone if you can borrow theirs and it's still dead.... well.... :(.

If the molex connector to the card has gone, or there's insufficient power, the card normally beeps when booting. The error 10 on Nvidia's site says something about going into your bios and setting "Assign IRQ to VGA”, but again, if this is sudden, and you haven't touched the bios, this probably means a dead card.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I would think about how to test Tharic-Nar's idea 1st ... but which ever is easier including trying a video card (ANY video card) from said local source.

I focused on PSU because of your admition about it possibly not being up to par for the video card. AND, my own most unfortunate series of failures over about 3 years of PSUs dying & taking the motherboard with them ... misery loves company I guess.