In-Game Web Browser Comparison

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
So, your playing your favorite FPS or MMORPG, and then it hits you, "Dude! I need to check my e-mail!". Since you're in a safe spot in the game, you decide it's a good idea to pull off the ole Alt+Tab trick, check the e-mail, then bring the game back to focus. If it comes back to focus, you're gold. If not, it can be one heck of a frustrating experience (especially if you were part of a hunting group).

Did you know though, that there exist tools to allow you to browse the web from inside of your games? Well, I for one didn't, but I admit that the idea intrigues me quite a bit. The cool thing is, there's not just one solution, but four, or possibly even more. Even Steam has this functionality, although it must be difficult to find, as I've never managed to stumble on it.

That aside, Gamespot has taken four different solutions for a spin, including PlayXpert, Rogue, Xfire and of course, Steam. The screenshot below shows off PlayXpert's (or pXp for short) usage, and I have to say, it looks quite good. But in the end, each one has its own ups and downs, and for the most part, you're going to have to do a fair amount of testing to see what works best for you in a particular title.

ingame_web_browsers_021909.jpg

PlayXpert acts as your one-stop hub to the outside world all within the confines of a game. Through PlayXpert's taskbar-like menu, you can access all sort of tools. You can easily browse the Web, play music, and chat over IM with your buddies right out of the initial install. According to PlayXpert CEO Charles Manning, "The program has broad compatibility and minimizes hits to performance by injecting its UI into the DirectX command stream as the information goes to the GPU."

Source: Gamespot

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Even Steam has this functionality, although it must be difficult to find, as I've never managed to stumble on it.

Oh man, I need to play with you sometime! Ya are sounding like a newb ready to get pwned...

Hehe, okay maybe not quite that bad. :D When you are in a Steam game use shift + tab to bring up the overlay screen. This allows you to monitor your friends list, start or reply to IM's you received, and also is where you can browse servers for that specific game (or any other Valve-hosted game regardless of game you are presently in) or surf the web as long as you are in any Valve-hosted game. And despite what they say, it works in the middle of any gameplay.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When you are in a Steam game use shift + tab to bring up the overlay screen.

Oh, I realize that functionality is there, but I still had no idea that a browser was available. I've played Steam-based games little, and the most I remember in recent memory has been two levels in Left 4 Dead, where I didn't need to use Shift+Tab. If you are not a huge gamer, these things are bound to pass you by ;-)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Left 4 Dead is a game that almost requires an extensive Friends list just so you can set up and play a few games with friends and not with random "pubbers". :) Otherwise many of which drop out of the game when it doesn't go in their favor leaving it pretty lopsided, at which point more of them leave. Eventually more leave than join, and the game has to be abandoned before it's even halfway through. Anyone that uses the friends list system will be an old hat to the shift+tab overlay system as to communicate or privately IM players during a game. :)

I guess I would fall under the definition of a heavy Steam user, but it's not my fault their games are almsot the only ones I've played for the last several months! Probably because they know what they are doing when it comes to designing games... http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/02/20/valve-steam-is-making-us-rich/1

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Although I'm not entirely pleased with Steam all of the time, I do give them kudos for creating a system that should have been created long ago. As it stands right now, every single one of the games we use for our GPU/CPU/motherboard testing is available from within Steam, so to say that it's convenient is a huge understatement. The only problem now are the DRM-infected titles, but that's not Valve's problem.

By the way, I added you to my Steam's friends list. I'm rarely on, but maybe we'll very-well catch each other on sometime.

Makikou

Obliviot
Oi, thanks for this one!

I got Xfire but seemingly theres no web-browser support for any of the games i play at the moment :D

Makikou

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums Makikou!

That's too bad about the lack of support... don't worry, I'm with you. I play an older MMO and it's not supported either (not too surprised though).