If you had 3 computers....

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
This is just for laughs... but I'm a bit curious to see how people will respond....

If you had 3 (or more) computers on a network what would you name

a) The workgroup?
b) Each computer?

Mine is the "Electric" workgroup with computers named "Volts", "Amps" and "Watts"....

A friend of mine called his "Snacks" with computers named "Cheese", "Crackers" and "Wine"

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Jurassic workgroup
with dilbert, dogbert, ratbert, lassie, digby, courage ... in the past were ren & stimpy, beavis, butthead

I have been thinking about merging in the next names with an adult beverage theme ... merlot, chablis, guinness, maddog, buttnaked ... you know, nothing stuffy or anything. :) No "buds" tho.

although I have been torn for my fav hot sauces ... but the names get too long. "SmackMyAssAndCallMeSally", is catchy but too long :(

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I guess I'm pretty boring, I name mine based off the case itself so I know which is which. :p And Homegroups don't have names... I think. Just passwords that I never remember.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I guess I'm pretty boring, I name mine based off the case itself so I know which is which. :p And Homegroups don't have names... I think. Just passwords that I never remember.

Not so bad... There's a small corp net I tend once in a while. The workgroup is the company name (which is totally expected) the computers are One, Two, Three, Four ... Seventeen.

Now THAT is boring.

I've got a 4 machine setup for a private home coming up... I'm thinking of the "Bombsquad" workgroup with "Nitro" "Plastique" "Nuclear" and "Nitrate" as the computer names... Daddy's a cop...

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I couldn't be more boring in this regard. My current network list is:

RobWilliams-PC
techgage
home-1fe5a659ea
RobWilliams-PC (Yes, two)
TG-UC7807u
Nate-PC

If I was a wee bit more creative, I'd name them similar to how we do our web-servers, with mild technical names like "pixel" and "vertex".

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Boring here too...
1:CommandCenter
2:EntertainmentCenter
3 DiskStationNAS
4:portable 1
5:portable2
6:FoldingAtHome1

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I still read MAD from time to time. It's great, umm, bathroom literature.

So you've seen the add?

Sink with 4 taps...
"Dip"
"Dip Dap"
"Dip Dap Dobble"
"Dip Dap Dobble Dirp"
Next page...
"Dip Dap Dobble and Dirp ... for all your plumbing needs"

When I showed the computer names to the guys at the plumbing company they were right on the floor laughing....

Of course no real MAD afficianado can forget their classic line....

Way back when I was first getting into this I did some work for a college in the area. For a joke I put in a short BASH script so that every time they hit enter to get the login promt the screen was cleared and the top line would read...

"Fester Bester Tester is alive and well and living in Brazil!"

Well this went on for a few weeks before they figured out it was me that did it. They called me one day, obviously frustrated, and asked me how to make it stop:

"The next time you log in and the line comes up, type "Who cares?" and hit Enter.

(typing sounds)

Oh gees... you mean it was that easy?

Years later when I bumped into one of their comp-room guys now an MCSE we had a real good laugh over it... Apparently someone wised them up to the MAD magazine connection, after the fact.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
at least no one has asked, "why would you name your computers?". I guess a web site like this protects "us" from "those".:rolleyes:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
at least no one has asked, "why would you name your computers?". I guess a web site like this protects "us" from "those".:rolleyes:
If you only had one computer, it would not matter. But when you have more in a network and want to connect to a certain computer, you would have to remember the name, as well as password. It's just a way of maping a system in order. When you have 10 Tb of info on several machines, you want to know where to get that info. Geeks like most of us want to make that humorus in our own way

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
If you only had one computer, it would not matter. But when you have more in a network and want to connect to a certain computer, you would have to remember the name, as well as password. It's just a way of maping a system in order. When you have 10 Tb of info on several machines, you want to know where to get that info. Geeks like most of us want to make that humorus in our own way

Yep... computer names are actually DNS lookups, just like websites, except handled by your router or switcher...

I type in \\Amps in an explorer or browser window ... it goes to the router for DNS, gets converted to 192.168.222.20 and up comes the share list.

So... why not have a little fun with it?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Merlin:

Its a pulp fiction ref. Except for Beatrix Kid. That one I wont reveal for the sake of not giving something away. But it has something to do with a QT flick.