Identity Theft

leecho7

Partition Master
I got a phone call from my credit card agency stating that someone tried to purchase a big screen TV in Romania with my account. It was declined, but my account had to be shut down for security reasons.
This is actually kinda freakin me out, cause I have no friggin idea how that person got hold of my info, and I have no idea what other things he might know about me.
I haven't purchased anything on my credit card ever in years.
Anyone know any measures to take to prevent anymore of this BS? I'm scared that the person might know my bank account and steal the 15 dollars I have left in my checking.

SH*T!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Have you ever used your credit card online? Years ago, when things were a lot more unsecure, some online e-tailers stored credit card numbers and other info in some of the most retarded manners ever. Playing in a search engine wisely can get you info like that, depending on how they are stored.

Since I assume you haven't used your CC online, it could be from other things. Why was the transaction canceled? Was it because the limit was not high enough? Was there an error in the name? The expiry date? The 3 digit ID?

I'd ask your credit card company if they have any more info to tell you.

leecho7

Partition Master
Well there were numerous reasons why it was cancelled, the biggest one being not enough money on the card. They also said that I made a purchase in Baltimore the night before the attempted purchase in Romania.
The only online place I shop at are Newegg.com Zipzoomfly.com and frozencpu.com.

I do sell a good amount of things on Ebay and recieve a good amount of payments through paypal... maybe that could be a factor?

I don't know. Either way, I'm gonna go close all my accounts and have them transfered or something.