i5 3570K or i7 3770K

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Gang,

I'm at a crossroads. I am going to upgrade my main machine and delegate the 2500K to my ESXi box. Do any of you have a preference and can you talk me into getting the i5 over the more expensive i7? Conversely, can you talk me out of getting the i7 over the cheaper i5?

GO!

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
What will you be using the rig for?

Hyperthreading is an advantage mainly for programs like media encoding/processing. If you're not heavily into that, I'd go with the i5. :)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
What will you be using the rig for?

Hyperthreading is an advantage mainly for programs like media encoding/processing. If you're not heavily into that, I'd go with the i5. :)

The i5 has been in my cart for a few days now :) I just needed to hear another's opinion. I don't expect to see much of an improvement over the 2500K, I just want to up the specs of my ESXi host.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you don't have a specific need for HyperThreading or the extra 2MB of cache (both of which are useful for things like video encoding), then I'd opt for the i5... it's a considerable savings. You sure aren't going to be unhappy with that CPU choice, I can assure you.