I think I need a new mobo.

leecho7

Partition Master
Last night I was playing Act of War, and everything was going smooth. After about an hour of playing, my screen went black with lines cutting across the screen barely showing what I was doing.
I opened up my case and smelt some sort of rubber burning smell, which isn't a good thing. I imediately thought it was my graphics card, so I took it out and inspected it. Everything seemed to be alright. I tried my old 6800 GTX to see if the graphics card was the culprit. Nope, same problem even with my old graphics card. The computer seems to be running perfectly fine besides the fact I can barely see anything. I can kinda see where windows boots, I can barely see what is 'supposed to be' windows through a series of lines cutting across a black screen. I thoght maybe it was the vga to dvi adapter that went bad. Replaced it with another, and same problem. Tried my monitor on my friends computer, worked perfectly fine.

So my conclusion is most likely the mobo. I'm abot to slap on my old Asus A8n5x as a replacement to see if the mobo is the culprit. But would appreciate you professional's insight/wisdom on this matter before I start disassembling my rig.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's hard to take a guess at this one... that's a bizzare thing to happen. Did you find out where that rubber smell was coming from? Maybe there's a busted cap on the motherboard or something.

I'd inspect the board closely after pulling it out, to see what the deal is. I have no idea what would smell like burnt rubber. Such a distinguishable smell...

-Could- also be your PSU. But usually when it smells, it means it's dead shortly after.

leecho7

Partition Master
The only explanation I have so far, is there was a power surge. Or maybe my monitor went bad. But because of that smell, I know it has something to do with my mobo or some other hardware.