I didnt realize this

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Did you know that your TV is consuming energy even when you’re not using it? In fact, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, 75 percent of the electricity that powers home electronics is consumed while these devices are turned off! If that sounds like a high figure, consider that most home electronics — including stereos, computers, televisions and DVD players — are using standby power anytime they’re switched off, and that adds up quickly when these devices are plugged in 24 hours a day.

Electricity consumed when the power is turned off is called a phantom load, ghost load or vampire load, and they're common not only in home electronics, but in many home appliances as well, such as stoves, washers and dryers.
Full article here
http://www.motherearthliving.com/is...ave-energy-eliminate-phantom-loads_865-1.html

Merlin

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's true, but I think most televisions nowadays don't use much power when turned off. The best thing to do is to pick up a Kill-A-Watt and test each device in the house to see what uses power when turned off and what doesn't. Most of my electronics use between 1 - 2W while turned off, including my displays.

However, there is a difference between "standby" and "off". The Gateway 30" monitor for example, remains turned on if I let the PC go into standby. Since the monitor is technically still active, it hogs between 70W - 100W. So, it's definitely a good idea to check for things like that.