Hurricane Sandy: Before and After

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm still wondering why the Bounty was sailing around in the path of Sandy in the first place. This actually occurred days before Sandy made landfall. One women was killed and the Captain is still missing....

You don't sail a replica 18th century wooden sailing vessel into the path of a hurricane, even if it has modern conveniences on board. They lost power to their pump and engines but they were supposedly taking on water even with them running.

I hope the investigation is able to resolve what the Captain was doing, because her comments are not helping her case:

In a posthumously published public-access TV interview from August uploaded to YouTube on Monday, Walbridge said "we chase hurricanes" and gently boasted of surviving 70-foot waves with the Bounty.

"You try to get up as close to the eye of it as you can, and you stay down in the southeast quadrant, and when it stops, you stop, you don't want to get in front of it, you want to stay behind it, but you also get a good ride out of a hurricane," said Walbridge, 63.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...bounty-investigation-20121102,0,7353839.story

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, those comments don't help things at all. When I first learned of that incident, all I could do was slap my head, and ask the same question everyone else did: why the hell were they out there? It's unfortunate of the death, and I'm sure, soon to be two (the sad thing is they may never find the captain).

It just seems like such an avoidable accident - if you can even call it that. It's hardly an accident if you chase danger.