HUE HD Webcam

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Webcams come in various shapes and sizes, but HUE's HD webcam is unique. Besides being offered in six different colors, it has a bendable arm that allows for precise positioning. Or so we thought...

You can read Kiersten's review here and discuss it here.

GeekGirl

Obliviot
Yeah I was disappointed with this item. And 6/10 is being VERY nice.
It really makes me wonder if these companies actually do their own product research beyond the internal technical bits. Anyone who put this on their desk or attached it to their laptop would have noticed these issues in minutes. I mean look at the first video, how sad and pathetic.

One thing that needed to be done was to make the base weight a great deal more, this would however obviously increased the price (both manufacture and shipping) of an already overpriced item.

So did you like the Tachikoma? lol I'm guessing not many people know what the heck it is. I'd love to get this version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVC7_t92X8Y

Thanks all, I guess all we can hope for is someone at QA to read this review and pass it up the chain. Great idea - poor execution.

NicePants42

Partition Master
Thanks all, I guess all we can hope for is someone at QA to read this review and pass it up the chain. Great idea - poor execution.

'Hey, I think TechGage is on to something here.'

'Yeah?'

'Yeah, there's some great ideas and criticism in their review.'

'Such as?'

'Well for starters, it looks like we need to change our target market...'

moon111

Coastermaker
The error that came up:
"The Software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP." Is nothing more then a company refusing to pay Microsoft to say that it's driver works. If they don't pay, that ugly message comes up. I've installed drivers on OEM equipment before and that same message would pop up.

I bought my webcam for $3.99 lol

D

davelog

Woot score

Howdy. I have 3 of these cams that I got from woot.com recently, and while looking for online resources regarding using multiple HUE cams on a single machine, I came across your review.

I don't know what they sold for last year when you wrote this, but they were a steal for <$20. Image quality is far superior to your average USB webcam, and I don't know if you just overlooked it or if they've updated the drivers since your review, but this cam is PACKED with extra configurable features... including the zoom you were pining for. You can also pan within the frame if zoomed in, and it comes with 16 image processing effects and 10 border/frame effects. It also has a pretty competent face tracking system that you can enable, and aux LED support.

Unfortunately, the contact form on HUE's website is now defunct, so I can't ask them directly about using 2 cams at once (they'd be perfect for taking video in an anaglyphic [red/blue 3D] project I'm working on), but if you have any suggestions, I'd be keen to hear them.

Thanks!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, Woot.com's sale resulted in a lot of e-mails, but I don't know what to tell most people, since this product seemed to have been a one-off for the company. They came and went very, very fast... it's almost strange.

As for your question with regards to two webcams at once, I wasn't even aware that two couldn't be used at a time, so I'm not sure what to say there. I think that's more of a software limitation than a hardware one, though. Although complicated, the easiest way might be to hook one up to another PC (like a notebook) and place the cam next to the other one, or wherever you need it. That way, each computer would capture video with the respective cam, and you could sync the video later. I'm really not sure your goals here though, so maybe that wouldn't work either.

U

Unregistered

help!

I purchased a couple of these from woot before christmas....I can't get the last of these few to load an image! the final steps to install the software seems to have to be done thru the website--which is now gone.
Any hope, or are these junk??

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd recommend testing the borked ones on another PC, to see if it's a driver issue or if they are really dead. There might be a reason the company no longer exists, though.