How I keep my HDD's cool..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've been having a problem with heated HDD's lately. I have three, and they are on top of each other, and are usually hovering around 45ºC - 51ºC.

To me, this is too hot.. especially since it's heating up my entire room. It's funny how little I had to do to remedy this problem. I just removed my floppy, and put my primary drive in it's place.. so that it's away from the other drives.

I mounted a fan above that HDD, that consistantly blows air down on it. For the two remaining drives, I mounted another fan in behind them, blowing over over and through them.

It's unreal.. because now the primary HDD never goes above 29ºC, and the other two hover around 30ºC and 31ºC. You can check the thumbnail out if you want, to see what I mean.

What a difference it made, and it's so freaking easy :-/

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Your image cannot be loaded.

I have one fan on my Raptor and my 160MB media drive is on it's own. Ambient in my case never goes above 75* F so I am not personally worried about the temps of my HDD's. I would however like to get a Zalman heatpipe cooler for my Raptor as it does get hot.....much more so than my 7200 drive.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We moved the forums to a new server last month, which farked up the attachments and avatars =/

Aye, 75ºF is deadly.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Might I suggest getting really long cords, putting them in air-tight plastic bags, and throwing them into the freezer?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
madstork91 said:
Might I suggest getting really long cords, putting them in air-tight plastic bags, and throwing them into the freezer?

I have no idea what you just said but it sounds ghetto enough to work.