Homebuilt PC Ingredients?

Dom

Obliviot
Well recently while 'struggling' to play EQ2 on my abismal DELL PC I was hit with the sudden realization.

I NEED a new PC, but not just any old package deal, I'm talking a real power hungry orge of a PC.

So what I need help with is what to put inside this monster. I'll be starting from scratch because the DELL I have atm isnt worth upgrading. So that new casing, new monitor, every.

I'm more AMD inclined, dunno why just always used them, and price isnt REALLY that much of a worry, obviously I would like to not spend thousands lol but I am willing to pay for the big bad gears that really deliever great gaming.

So if you can just post your recommandations I would be greatly appreciative.

-Dom

[EDIT] I live in the UK, so I might not have access to some stuff that you have in the US/Canada.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just got done building a friend a great computer. It scores a base score of near 8,000 in 3D Mark, so it's definitely good for every game out there. It may not hit 4x AA and 16x AF.. but it's definately a great computer.

AMD64 3000+
1GB Samsung DDR400
DFI Lanparty SLi UT Mobo
MSI 6600GT 128MB
Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM
Logisys Phantom Case
LG 16x DVD+RW

He built it without a Monitor, but I have always loved ViewSonics. You could price those parts up on whatever site you usually buy parts from, and then upgrade components, or degrade depending on your budget.

You could upgrade the video card, or processor. But overall, it's a great machine. It would play EQII on high settings quite easily though.

Dom

Obliviot
XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB Graphics Card

About £190($350)

Te rest seems brilliant, I'll get on the phone to a friend and see if he can track it all down for me =D

ultragooey

Obliviot
You should be able to run any of the current games on a high-end Radeon or GeForce card, not neccesarily the newest & fastest. Juts make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM in the system and a solid install of the vid drivers.

One of my gaming machines has a 1.4GHz T-bird & a GeForce2 Pro and runs Lineage 2 at 1280 x 1024 x 32 easily. It does have 1.5 GB of RAM and no websurfing is done with that machine, so its super-clean.

PUTALE

Obliviot
looks like a solid build. BTW, don't forget to get a good psu, preferably the newer ones that support pcie.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ultragooey said:
You should be able to run any of the current games on a high-end Radeon or GeForce card, not neccesarily the newest & fastest. Juts make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM in the system and a solid install of the vid drivers.

One of my gaming machines has a 1.4GHz T-bird & a GeForce2 Pro and runs Lineage 2 at 1280 x 1024 x 32 easily. It does have 1.5 GB of RAM and no websurfing is done with that machine, so its super-clean.

1280*1024 on a GeForce 2? Damn.. that impresses me.