HMV Admits to Underestimating Potential in the Internet

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It has been proven time and time again that just because a company is hugely successful, it doesn't mean that the best decisions are being made all the time. Take HMV, for example, which is discovering this itself. Over the past week, the company mulled over the decline in sales it saw throughout the holiday season, and admitted that it underestimated what the Internet would become.

hmv_logo_large_011612.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Never seen one in the US, but that doesn't say much. What I can say, is that around 2000 malls universally had 1-2 bookstores, and 2-3 music stores + 1-2 enterainment/video stores. Today none have bookstores and are lucky to have 1 music store. Most of the ones I've visited recently don't even have a video/movie store anymore.

Hell. There are large malls here that don't have ANY music, video, or book stores in them at all anymore, period. In fact, North Star Mall has none anymore, and that mall gets the most or second highest foot traffic for the 7th largest US city. That should tell you something right there. ;)

Edit: I didn't check every single one, but at least 3 malls lack book, music, and movie stores. The ritziest mall in the city doesn't have a music store or a movie store... and the only reason it has a bookstore is because they convinced Barnes & Noble to open a full sized store on location. Which where aren't many of those left either, B&N closed quite a few locations... and Borders is outright gone now. I guess there's a reason I don't visit malls anymore!

Last edited: