help please with Corsair HX650

Cobra26

E.M.I.
Hi golks,

Well i finally received my pc components.

Intel core i7 920 (DO)
Intel SSD Postville 80gb
EVGA X58 SLI LE
EVGA GTX260 Superclocked 55nm
WD Black 500gb HDD
Mushkin 998679 (3x2GB) XP3-12800
Sony Optiarc DVD-Burner
Corsair HX650 PSU

But there is an issue with the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin it doesnt match the
8-pin on the mother board.

Please take a look at the picture links:

motherboard notice the 4 squares
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41734199@N03/3984942263/

drawn a picture to clear things up
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41734199@N03/3983883019/

this is taken from corsair site wich is not accurate, it has 4 squares
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41734199@N03/3985736096/

And this is what i get, only 2 squares
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41734199@N03/3985769534/

As you can see i have a issue. Before i go any further please visit my question on corsair wich in my eyes is ignoring the issue and giving me "general" answers.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81884

I'm really fed up with their way of answering my questions they wont tell me what to do specifickly in my case and this is from an corsair expert. Like should i force the entire EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin cable into the motherboard regardless if they do NOT match. Or should i use half of the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin and is this sufficient enough to power the cpu? (if it doesnt fit it doesnt belong there) see link here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41734199@N03/3991821010/

Still they ignore the issue and wont give me a correct answer instead they give me some genarel answers wich to me seems not right. Are they affraid for telling me how it must be done?

Please could one of you who knows what i have to do? I prefer those who have encountered this issue and know what to do.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm working on a bunch of things right now, so I can't give an exhaustive response, but is there a chance you are trying to plug a PCI-E 8-pin cable into that connector rather than the 8-pin motherboard connector? The shapes of the eight squares are different between cables to make sure someone doesn't plug one into the wrong connection (that would result in a nice zap!).

Cobra26

E.M.I.
I'm working on a bunch of things right now, so I can't give an exhaustive response, but is there a chance you are trying to plug a PCI-E 8-pin cable into that connector rather than the 8-pin motherboard connector? The shapes of the eight squares are different between cables to make sure someone doesn't plug one into the wrong connection (that would result in a nice zap!).

Thanks for the reply

No as shown in the pictures these are not PCI-E 8-pin cables.
Its really a EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin that i need to know how to connect: forcing all 8pins into the motherboard or use only half of the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin into the motherboard because the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin can be split into 2 parts. Il await your answer then thanks in advance.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm going to have to guess that you are trying to plug it in upside-down. I hauled out a Corsair 820HX, and sure enough, the 8-pin motherboard connector isn't identical to the one on the motherboard (your diagram matches up perfectly). But it still plugs in fine to the motherboard. The non-square connectors still fit into the square connectors fine.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hey Cobra, thanks for the images! After studying the images I must agree with Rob on this, it looks like you simply need to plug the connector in the other way around. The two clips should snap into place on the ridge along the bottom edge of that motherboard socket without any problem.

I personally hate PSU's that split the EPS 12V connector into two AUX connectors, because it makes plugging them in more difficult. You may need to carefully align both plugs with each other before trying to insert them as one plug into the EPS 12V socket.

Cobra26

E.M.I.
I'm going to have to guess that you are trying to plug it in upside-down. I hauled out a Corsair 820HX, and sure enough, the 8-pin motherboard connector isn't identical to the one on the motherboard (your diagram matches up perfectly). But it still plugs in fine to the motherboard. The non-square connectors still fit into the square connectors fine.

Finally an decent answer, thanks so in other words its good to just plug the EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin into the motherboard even if they dont match. Ok il do just that. And you didnt encounter any problems?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, those squares don't have to match 100%. As long as it fits, without being forced, you're fine.

Cobra26

E.M.I.
Hey Cobra, thanks for the images! After studying the images I must agree with Rob on this, it looks like you simply need to plug the connector in the other way around. The two clips should snap into place on the ridge along the bottom edge of that motherboard socket without any problem.

I personally hate PSU's that split the EPS 12V connector into two AUX connectors, because it makes plugging them in more difficult. You may need to carefully align both plugs with each other before trying to insert them as one plug into the EPS 12V socket.

thanks for the reply

hehe lol no thanks Yeah those where a lot of images, but i wanted to you guys to see what i mean. From my understanding round pins fits into square pins so in other words i can connect the FULL EPS 12V connector in to the motherboard wich has 4 squares and 4 round pins while the EPS 12V connector from the corsair psu has 2 squares and 6 round pins. But as stated before this should not give me any problems.

Cobra26

E.M.I.
Yes, those squares don't have to match 100%. As long as it fits, without being forced, you're fine.

Thanks for clearing this up for me Rob, appreciate it, i had my doubts if i would screw things up you know. But as you explained it to me it should be fine.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, keep in mind it would have been extremely unusual for Corsair to have made their own PSU specifications that weren't compatible with any motherboards that exist!

What some PSU manufacturers love to do is provide two 4pin AUX connectors instead of a single EPS 12V one... believe it or not a 8pin EPS 12V connector is just two AUX connectors side-by-side. You could plug half of an EPS 12V connector into a 4pin AUX socket, for example. That's likely the reason behind the differently shaped holes, to allow AUX or EPS 12V style plugs but only when inserted just the right/proper way.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, keep in mind it would have been extremely unusual for Corsair to have made their own PSU specifications that weren't compatible with any motherboards that exist!

That's kind of my thinking as well. It's interesting regardless though. I didn't ever notice the difference in these connectors until this post.