help please, computer failure

azntuner

Obliviot
i have a antec 300 case, with sli evga gtx 260 with a antec tp-750 watt power supply. today i was in the middle of a game when the computer just froze, the screen froze and my mouse was non stop flashing. And on when i rebotted the computer the graphics cards were not working, and my mouse was still non stop blicking and my keyboard was not being recognized, this is a 1.5 year build and i have not had any problems before this. My motherboard is a xfx 780i, and i think its the motherboard that went bad, but i am not sure. I dont have another computer to swap parts out to see which part is disfunctional, so i would like to get some other people opinions on what happened. I think it was the motherboard since the mouse and keyboard isnt working, and i dont think having both graphics cards fail at the same exact time is that likely expecially since i dont overclock.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Without swapping out at least one component, it's hard to say. If a GPU has failed, it is possible for it to prevent a PC from booting properly. Remove the GPU, let it try and post and it should do the usual BIOS beep error, but the rest of the hardware should behave normally. If the PC still does exactly the same thing, then yeah, could be the MB.

Run with a Single GPU, then alternate if one doesn't work... then if both fail, try a different PCIe slot. If both setups don't work, then yeah, dead MB is most likely.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
my 780i died in November last year! After 2.5 yrs i.e! Mine used to power up but never booted, just blank! Gave it for repairs but the components were no longer being shipped by XFX and we poor pakis only get 1yr warranty here!