Hello boys, I'm back ...

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I am building a new-ish machine on an ASUS X99-A equipped w/ i7-5960X & 64 GB RAM. Both of the i7-990X systems have developed problems in the past couple of months. These are described in this forum, I think. That M/B, CPU, RAM, & Koolance 380i water block are all that I bought to get one box up to speed. Remember the beige cases? YUP! Still got 'em. :eek:

This isn't going to be much of a build thread as I need to get this done ASAP. I do hope to be able to plug 2 Nvidia C2075s (or modded M2075s) + a more standard video card into this board. The CPU does have 40 PCI-E lanes and most will be needed for that configuration. I would love to have a couple of K40s, but they are still too pricey and I already have these older cards.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
The new stuff ... ... except for the video cards on the right. The wimpy one is temporary and is the old recommendation to partner with the Tesla. Pretty sure it can be put on the self in a week or so.

Attachments

• MBcpuWBramVID.jpg
    MBcpuWBramVID.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 862
  • cpuRAMmb.jpg
    cpuRAMmb.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Old stuff ... used Indigo Xtreme on this also. I had no problem setting IX back when. Note the printing on the CPU is transferred to the Indigo Xtreme. The water block pealed off the CPU.

Attachments

• 990X_P6X58D_Premium.jpg
    990X_P6X58D_Premium.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 696

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Question/opinions? Notice in "MBcpuWBramVID.jpg" (the 1st pic) that ASUS has adhesive foil stickers on 3 heatsinks. These can't possibly have any function other than to pretty things up ... wouldn't you think? Therefore, they should be removed for better heat dissipation.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Is it sad that the thing to impress me most about that rig is the fact that it has 64GB of DDR4? I just updated our GPU test rig using the same motherboard and CPU, but I am sticking with 32GB.

The new setup is looking good. How does the C-series compare to the new Teslas for what you want to do? 3 or so years is a long time in this game, haha. K40s are hella-expensive though.

Old stuff ... used Indigo Xtreme on this also. I had no problem setting IX back when. Note the printing on the CPU is transferred to the Indigo Xtreme. The water block pealed off the CPU.

Am I looking at that picture right? The block literally ripped the entire IHS off of the CPU? I guess this is a lesson to heat up the machine first and then remove the sink afterwards, since the TIM would be liquefied. Seriously, that is a crazy thing to happen.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I decided some time ago not to pretend to be an evaluator of new hardware. That's your job & I am quite happy to read the expert reviews on your site ... and then I will still wait a while. In other words, rarely will bleeding edge h/w be seen from moi.

I believe double precision floating point of K40s are approximately double the speed of my cards. K40s also have 12 GB RAM versus the 6 GB on C-series which is more interesting. However, C-series is still 5X to 10X faster than this CPU so there is still substantial improvement.

That is not the IHS. It is just the ink. IX adhesion is not like solder. However, if I wanted to reuse this CPU & waterblock it looks like there would be a lot of work involved to prepare both surfaces for any TIM.

I could have reused that Swiftech waterblock, but since I hadn't looked under the lid since installation I thought there would be substantial erosion & corrosion. Just peeking thru the water ports there does not appear to be any.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Very nice. Sorry I missed this earlier, I've been tied up with a Z97 build. I would love to play with an X99 setup one of these days although the Tesla is totally beyond me.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
The X99 A (I like the simple name) is easy to OC using the builtin utility. Of course that is not good enough, but the fun stuff is in all of the detailed settings and they are a challenge for me ... I only do this every couple of years.

I managed to screw up the self recovery feature for when OC settings don't work. Recovered after a bit. I also have a nasty cold so I am definitely not on my game. The problem I created was that a bank of RAM was not recognized. After several unsuccessful restarts I finally got back to bios to start over again. Completely removing power is supposed to reset bios settings and that did not work either. Randomly the system would boot Windows 7.

I also took a very lazy way to rebuild. I just reused the boot drive as is from the 990X system. That worked. Everything of course worked better once all of the proper drivers were loaded in from the X99 A DVD. This did save a lot of time so I could get back to work a couple of days quicker. Playing with things this weekend.

On the plus side for someone, I have a 990X e/w 24 GB RAM. It is "ill". I suspect the CPU is the problem given the near 24x7 heavy OC for a few years. It would lock up anytime the C2075 was invoked. Started this about a month ago. I did not have time to debug and I have been planning on a system upgrade for several months .

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I have been away for a while .. got lost :confused:

Just one 27" monitor, but would like 2 or 3. The challenge is that I have 4 computers switched thru a KVM. I would like to have the 2 or 3 on just the general purpose computer and switch the 1 monitor around with the KVM.