Headset suggestions

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Looking for a good headset for gaming. No need for 5.1 or 'force feedback' or anything like that. I'll prolly look to spend $30-~$50 for it. Will pretty much be used for gaming, although sound quality would be good to have

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
If you just need something cheaply, I don't suppose you'll be too disappointed with what you might get from Altec Lansing or Logitech. However, none of these will really be as good-sounding as stereo headphones in the $100-$200 price category.

You might check out the $40-ish Sennheiser PC151 headset, which looks good and compact. I don't have any specific experience with this headset, but Sennheiser is a mid-to-high-end brand, and I don't think they'd let a stinker get out the door. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106157

That Sennheiser headset is supra-aural (an on-ear design), but if you need something that seals well around the ear, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the SteelSeries 5H headphones when I heard them, with decent low end that's well balanced with a clear midrange and smooth treble range. A headset version is also available with an integrated mic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249016

Last edited:
I was actually in your position about a week ago. I did some research, and everyone seems to be saying that the best headset you can get for your money (and just below your price range) is the Sennheiser 201. I should be getting mine this week so I don't have any personal experience to share with you, but a good friend of mine has a pair and he reckons they are great and very comfortable. In most reviews I have read on these headphones the reviewer will say that the sound quality is that which you would find in a $100 + pair of headphones.

Good luck!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not sure if many will agree, but I think for headphones over the $100 price range, you might want to just consider an external microphone. Going over $100, I'd rather focus on audio quality than an 'all-in-one' package.

It's just one scenario I'm in currently also. I want to have mic capabilities, but in no way want to go from my nicer headphones down to mediocre ones, just for gameplay.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Again, thanks guys. I don't know if there's external microphone that would be able to reach over my G25 wheel when I race (which is every week), hence why a headset would be very nice to have :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Again, thanks guys. I don't know if there's external microphone that would be able to reach over my G25 wheel when I race (which is every week), hence why a headset would be very nice to have :)

You could duct tape it to your face? ;-)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Super glue works wonders.

For sure

Merlin

If it's external couldn't you just talk and it should be able to pick it up no matter where it is on your desk?
P.S. I agree with what Rob said about headphones over $100. I've done quite a bit of research myself and it's way better to get one without a mic in that price-range.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
If it's external couldn't you just talk and it should be able to pick it up no matter where it is on your desk?
P.S. I agree with what Rob said about headphones over $100. I've done quite a bit of research myself and it's way better to get one without a mic in that price-range.
Yes, you could get one for the desk,but you could have background noises that interfere.
I use the Triton AX360

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not sure how much the Triton's cost, but I'm assuming a pair of good headphones would be better than the AX360 as a whole. I used to be impressed with gaming headsets until I got a hold of a better pair of real headphones. I could not go ahead and use a gaming headset again... microphone for me. Gaming headsets can be good if you care about cool sound effects and the like, with the help of the included software.

And James, I'm thinking that also. There's microphones that could be clipped to the monitor as well, so as long as the peripheral being used isn't loud as heck (and a wheel might be, I don't know), then you should be fine.