HDD Cooler/Noise Eliminator

Krazy K

Partition Master
Any ideas what works best to cool a Raptor and take some of the noise out if it? Once I ran defrag and all those guys from thriller started popping up from my floor I decided it was time it quiet this baby down.

This is a good choice but can someone reassure me and tell me that it works well and is worth the cost. Any other ideas are welcomed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums!

I am not too much of an authority on this, but I'd only recommend that Logisys "cooler" to dampen the noise. As mentioned in the review, it did virtually nothing for improved cooling, but to be honest, on that drive you have, it might not need to cool.

Depends on how hot that drive gets in the first place, I suppose.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have used, and loved, the Zalman heatpipe cooler. It allows you to place your drive in an open 5.25" bay and wicks the heat away by using multiple heatpipes. I originally used it on a pair of 74GB Raptors but got rid of the coolers when I got rid of the Raptors.

I have never been a huge fan of the coolers that mount either below or above the drives either. There isn't much of a substitute for a good front case fan blowing across your drives to keep their temps in check.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Any ideas what works best to cool a Raptor and take some of the noise out if it? Once I ran defrag and all those guys from thriller started popping up from my floor I decided it was time it quiet this baby down.

This is a good choice but can someone reassure me and tell me that it works well and is worth the cost. Any other ideas are welcomed.
I have the Raptor 150 ( no window ) and is silent to a degree.
The Raptor with a window is known to make some noise.
Is that the one that you have?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136011

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Krazy K

Partition Master
Negative, I have the 150 w/o the window. While most people go for power, I'm in the middle of building a silent PC. The only fan I have is the 120 exhausting the case, minus the 80 on the CPU and the one in the Hiper s580 that you never hear anyway. With torrent fairly often Everest is telling me that I hit 120 and run around 111 on the drive.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Update:
Don't worry about buying the Evercool HDAC, it's quiet(on low) but it doesn't cool. The temperature of the drive is what ever it wants to be. With the drive idling and the fan at 3900 RPM the temp was 41.6, at 2130 RPM the temp rose to 42.2. I could turn up the 120mm in the back and get the temp to drop to 41.2, which doesn't involve cutting up my case, spending $40, and listening to 2 fans.

IMO, if you got an empty bay and $40 burning a hole in your pocket, buy a book and stick in the bay. It will do just as much good and you can read it when your drive overheats, I bet the screw holes will probably line up better too.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Update:
Don't worry about buying the Evercool HDAC, it's quiet(on low) but it doesn't cool. The temperature of the drive is what ever it wants to be. With the drive idling and the fan at 3900 RPM the temp was 41.6, at 2130 RPM the temp rose to 42.2. I could turn up the 120mm in the back and get the temp to drop to 41.2, which doesn't involve cutting up my case, spending $40, and listening to 2 fans.

IMO, if you got an empty bay and $40 burning a hole in your pocket, buy a book and stick in the bay. It will do just as much good and you can read it when your drive overheats, I bet the screw holes will probably line up better too.
Well, Just what are the temps that you are getting on the Raptor.
I also have a 150 gig Raptor and just a 120mm fan blowing across it....I did notice when I changed to 64 bit OS, it sounded louder on defrag....but temps are no problem.
If you are using a program to give you the temps, what is it?.... I'll try the same program and also get the Raytek temp probe to get actual...to see if it's even acurate

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Update:

42.2 is only 108F....thats not bad at all.....

See for yourself
http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Okay....pulled the panel off and check the temp on the Raptor 150gig.
Using a Raytek laser temp probe I got 33C or 92F
Thats a dif of 16 F or 11C. :eek:
You may have a problem with Your Raptor...or some kind of air flow problem.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Negative, I have the 150 w/o the window. While most people go for power, I'm in the middle of building a silent PC. The only fan I have is the 120 exhausting the case, minus the 80 on the CPU and the one in the Hiper s580 that you never hear anyway. With torrent fairly often Everest is telling me that I hit 120 and run around 111 on the drive.
Everest was telling me higher temps than actual anyway.
All Raptors are loud....And they run hotter than most drives....If you read any reviews you would have seen what everyone is saying.
They ARE fast, no doubt about it....but you give up silence for the speed.
So, read several reviews before your purchase....... so you won't get so stressed out

Krazy K

Partition Master
Yes, I knew it would be louder, but my logical thinking pointed me in the direction that more noise for less time is more appealing then little noise all the time, plus you have to wait. I hate waiting. So my temps are above what they should be, I think it is a problem with the drive, but a small one. If the SMART sensor is bad, I could chalk that up to be the simplest problem I've solved all year. Ask me about the watch I've worn 2 out of the last 10 months.

The problem with the cooler is that it didn't cool. I wouldn't argue the fact that the drive is well within it's temperatures, just that with a thermal probe taped to the board on the bottom, the cooler did a poor job of it's primary function, lowering the temp by less than 2 degrees. IMO that is money poorly spent and to give up a 5.25 bay and have that gawdy cheap looking face sticking out 1/2" more than anything else in my case didn't make it worth the money I spent on it. Of course this is subjective and there might be people out there that like it, I mean there are people that plan on voting for Hilary....

JUST A JOKE! PLEASE DON'T REPLY WITHOUT ANOTHER JOKE.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The problem with the cooler is that it didn't cool. I wouldn't argue the fact that the drive is well within it's temperatures, just that with a thermal probe taped to the board on the bottom, the cooler did a poor job of it's primary function, lowering the temp by less than 2 degrees. IMO that is money poorly spent and to give up a 5.25 bay and have that gawdy cheap looking face sticking out 1/2" more than anything else in my case didn't make it worth the money I spent on it. Of course this is subjective and there might be people out there that like it, .
So, you might think of selling it?

Someone here on the forum might want it, post it on items for sale or trade.