Having fat friends.. makes you fat

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The answer, the researchers report, was that people were most likely to become obese when a friend became obese. That increased one's chances of becoming obese by 57 percent.

There was no effect when a neighbor gained or lost weight, however, and family members had less of an influence than friends. It did not even matter if the friend was hundreds of miles away - the influence remained. And the greatest influence of all was between mutual close friends. There, if one became obese, the other had a 171 percent increased chance of becoming obese too.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/25/healthscience/fat.php

That's it. I am cutting all MSN/AIM interaction until my beer gut goes away.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Maybe having a fat wife makes a person feel it's okay to match lb. per lb.?

A friend of mine came over from Hamburg and was amazed at fat people, she had never seen such a sight. and mostly stared at them in disbelief.
Americans have come to be a fat nation, as the statistics grow.

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am trying to eat healthier lately, so I keep a good eye on the nutrition factor of most foods, and the reality hit me like a ton of bricks. It's no WONDER there are so many fat people. A can of Pepsi for example, has something like 150 calories and 40g carbs... That's enough in itself, but some overweight people drink 2L or more a DAY. Not to mention what take-out offers. Sugar / carb intake is insane.

moon111

Coastermaker
I am trying to eat healthier lately, so I keep a good eye on the nutrition factor of most foods, and the reality hit me like a ton of bricks. It's no WONDER there are so many fat people. A can of Pepsi for example, has something like 150 calories and 40g carbs... That's enough in itself, but some overweight people drink 2L or more a DAY. Not to mention what take-out offers. Sugar / carb intake is insane.

My sister-in-law's husband drinks a bottle of pop for break/lunch/break/dinner. Of course he had to drink 2L bottles because they were on sale for cheaper then 1 litre bottles. He sits at a desk for exercise.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I cut out soda, stopped eating after 8PM and got out from behind my desk and did basic housework more often and lost 25lbs so far this summer. I was 220lbs, now I'm 195 and looking foward to getting back to about 175-180lbs again.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I read some place once that the avg American will gain 30 something pounds of fat in their life time from cokes.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
LOL! If you ask me, it is a problem for North America, not just the US. I am American, and I saw my fair share of fatties at home, but there are just as many here. Hell, my mother in law is fat enough to be 2 1/2 people, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Last summer when I lived far away from home in an unfamiliar area, I never ate out at all, and always cooked for myself. Even cooking Hamburger Helper for dinner and having the odd can of soda with lunch, I lost 15 pounds. This summer I weighed 195 pounds going in, and I've gained most of that 15 pounds back this summer working at a place where everybody always goes out to lunch. To give you an idea, I'm 5' 9' in height (only a measly 3" away from that elusive 6' goal that might get me a better job and a girlfriend), so 210 pounds doesn't look too morbid on me (though it's noticeably 'fat'), but it's definitely enough to motivate me to take more frequent 12-mile bike rides (I'm up to 3 a week). I already feel much better because of the exercise, but damn our American dietary excess!

(I blame no one but myself, which is a start compared to the way many people deal with their fatness.)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
(I blame no one but myself, which is a start compared to the way many people deal with their fatness.)

I hear you.. I've punished myself for being fat by taking away my Britney Spears music that I love oh so much. Ok I'm kidding, it was Paris Hilton. That aside, I don't eat that much, but sitting on my ass all day is what I blame.

Damn you Techgage! :techgage:

moon111

Coastermaker
The only way I've been able to get bigger is through weight-trainning. Some say it's a fast metablism. I think it's driving my bike, all-year, to two seperate full-time jobs that does it.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The only way I've been able to get bigger is through weight-trainning. Some say it's a fast metablism. I think it's driving my bike, all-year, to two seperate full-time jobs that does it.

You are far too active and not drinking enough soda and enjoying a fine diet of McDonalds if you're having trouble being fat, LOL!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I think I'll actually make a serious post about this now... As i finally read the article.

There could be a number of thing that contribute to a person getting fat... Two things, and possibly the most important, are diet and exercise.

It goes without saying that you eat at the same places as your friends, possibly with them. And as far as activity levels go, you are usually active or inactive as your friends.

Essentially your life/health is very similar to a high % of your friends. This shouldn't be rocket science.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This shouldn't be rocket science.

I agree... it makes sense. If you hang around with friends often, chances are you will take on the same characteristics... since you are essentially doing the same things, as you mention.

moon111, damn you are active. I wish I was a little more like that.

moon111

Coastermaker
I agree... it makes sense. If you hang around with friends often, chances are you will take on the same characteristics... since you are essentially doing the same things, as you mention.

moon111, damn you are active. I wish I was a little more like that.

I've quit one job. As for driving my bike, it was actually the fastest way to get to work. Driving was no faster then walking. But I'm always doing stuff, working outdoors, etc.