Have Techgage Readers Adopted Windows 7?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
A couple of weeks after Windows 7's launch, reports came out that usage was rather good considering the short amount of time it was available. In just under 10 days, Microsoft's latest OS hit a 3% market share of Internet-connected PCs, and anyway you look at it, that's impressive. I'm not sure how thing's have improved since then, but as far as Techgage readers seem to be concerned, the OS is quite alright.

In the above-linked news post, I was unable to give information about the percentage of people using Windows 7 to view our site, but as of December 1, our analytics software finally updated itself to support detection of the OS, so we can begin to see its usage on our site. Bear in mind that as our site gets nowhere near the traffic as ultra-large sites which are normally used as a baseline to understand OS usage growth or decline, since our site does cater to a tech audience, it's informative enough to see just how well-received the OS is.

windows_7_madstork91_080409_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our news post here.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
it is on order & will be installed on the new machine this coming week hopefully

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'll cry for all of you who do... ;) Poor, poor Win7 users...

It's leaps and abounds above Vista, and although I'm still using the RC version due to recent time constraints I'm quite happy with it overall. Once I install the RTM version and have had eight months to torture it I'll make up my mind though... it took some use before Vista really started to show it's true colors.

Still, I'm enjoying the OS. It's a minor update that improves on Vista in just about every area it was sorely lacking. I find it annoying to use XP now because it takes longer to do anything with the old XP interface.

I've been watching the Steam survey with interesting, and Windows 7 is taking it by storm: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey December's survey may show more Steam users using 7 than using Vista, which would still be astonishingly fast for an uptake. Can't say I'd blame them. :D XP's usage has also really started to drop as well...

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I'll cry for all of you who do... ;) Poor, poor Win7 users...

why art thou speaketh ill of Win 7?!?:D

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

slugbug

Coastermaker
I'm running it one two rigs and no problems yet. The only thing I hate is no Classic view in Control Panel.