Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are looking for a portable WinTV solution from Happauge, you are in luck. The HVR-950 is capable of handling both normal and high-def TV and fits in a pocket! The largest draw might just be it's $90 price tag.

You can read the review and then discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

The software supplied with the 950 is the same that Hauppauge has been bundling with their TV tuner cards for years. It hasn't been updated to display hidef at the correct 16:9 aspect ratio. It defaults to the 4:3 of standard def TV and you must "eyeball" 16:9 by dragging one corner of the display window. I give the 950 itself an "8", but the supplied tuner software a "2" (and that's being generous.) The 950 may work with other tuner software which handles 4:3 and 16:9 correctly, but this is an additional expense.

Plextor just came out with a USB stick digital TV tuner, perhaps their software is better.

I went with a DVICO FusionHDTV5 USB device and the software supplied with it is light-years beyond that of the Hauppauge. It also comes with a full-function remote and analog audio and video inputs.

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/HDTV5usb.aspx

John Cline

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This isn't something that I addressed in the review, obviously, but thank you for pointing this out. That product you linked to looks interesting and would make a nice review. Thanks!

U

Unregistered

Not on my cd.

The software supplied with the 950 is the same that Hauppauge has been bundling with their TV tuner cards for years. It hasn't been updated to display hidef at the correct 16:9 aspect ratio. It defaults to the 4:3 of standard def TV and you must "eyeball" 16:9 by dragging one corner of the display window. I give the 950 itself an "8", but the supplied tuner software a "2" (and that's being generous.) The 950 may work with other tuner software which handles 4:3 and 16:9 correctly, but this is an additional expense.

Plextor just came out with a USB stick digital TV tuner, perhaps their software is better.

I went with a DVICO FusionHDTV5 USB device and the software supplied with it is light-years beyond that of the Hauppauge. It also comes with a full-function remote and analog audio and video inputs.

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/HDTV5usb.aspx

John Cline
I purchased and installed it on Tuesday. I was offered a choice of 4:3 or 16:9 display to be my standard.
On my 17" Dell Laptop, it shows High Definition in wide format with no problem. Check on their website to download latest version of softwarde

U

Unregistered

I believe the mini usb is for the optional A/V cable set which allows you to have S-video and composite in. And if you look, there should be a red bulb which I'm sure is for the optional remote.

They are sold at the Hauppauge web store.

I agree the software is pretty bad. I use GBPVR to record and WatchHDTV to watch the files.

U

Unregistered

Antecedent

I purchased and installed it on Tuesday. I was offered a choice of 4:3 or 16:9 display to be my standard.
On my 17" Dell Laptop, it shows High Definition in wide format with no problem. Check on their website to download latest version of softwarde

You say you "installed it" on Tuesday. You installed which tuner, the Fusion tuner or the Hauppauge?

G

Gis Bun

Misleading product

Anyone noticed that any analog output [i.e. from cable] will have the audio only in mono. That's right. No stereo unless you are using ATSC. The Hauppauge web site fails to mention this anywhere on the website [not in any brochure or product page] except in a FAQ. In this day and age, why would anyone watch TV in mono?

The ATSC is quite good, if you have a clear connection. If you aren't on the top floor of an apartment building, forget it!

U

Unregistered

compression

I have the Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-950 TV STICK USB HYBRID NTSC on my Gateway T-series. The compression rate is terrible.

One hour of TV is at min 1gb. When I WinTV on my desktop from three years ago the compression was much better, one hour of TV was at max 500mb, nearly half what this device has.

I have played with the setting until I went crazy.... nothing really makes a dent...

Can you guys tell me what you believe is the better settings for the Smallest recorded TV size? does this make sense.

(I have mine set to 0mb pause buffer with MPG quality)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The only ATI product that I would get is the all in one TV Wonder
I didn't play with any settings and get a great image, even better when recording hi def
I'm just wondering if it's some setting that you changed.

Maybe delete it and start over using factory defaults?

Merlin

U

Unregistered

thanks Merlin, I gave the defaults a try but the recorded tv too large...nearly 3gb for one of tv.

If I remember right, I paid 150.00 for the PCI desktop internal version... if must have come with some sort of internal compression device.. and this cheap ecternal one does not.

Everything else is great though... :)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Have you tried, going ahead and recording with the large file, then converting to DIVX?
You still get a good image and a smaller file on the drive

Merlin

U

Unregistered

Recording xbox 360 with wintv-hvr 950

I recently purchased the wintv-hvr 950. I was able to get the tv part of it set up (i.e. channels and recording). However when I tried to set it up to composite and S-video (seperate tries) in order to watch and record my xbox 360 I can't get it to work. Anyone know how to connect the wintv-hvr 950 to an xbox 360?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

you can email me at scott@theweatherpro.com

thanks

S

Shawman024

YEAH

I second that... does the hauppauge wintv-hvr 950 work well as an intermediary between the xbox 360 and your laptop for a mobile xbox 360 experience? The Adaptek Gamebridge is designed for this purpose but has been discontinued and costs up to $100 from Amazon. My only other option is an external usb tv tuner. Has anyone heard results of such a trial with this product? I'm quite certain it will work. I'm just curious as to whether it's laggy or not.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Scott and Shawman...

We can ask Hauppauge about this but I do not have a clear answer for you right now. The unit was reviewed and send to another person on staff here at Techgage so I can't plug it in and test it out. That said, check back in a day or so and I will hopefully have an answer for you.

Thanks for stopping by.

C

cody rozell

greatly appreciated

i also just bought the winTV-HVR-950 and i am trying to get my xbox 360 to run through it. i want to record videos from my halo 3 games and i cant figure out how to get it on there. i have heard that other people use it for the same purpose i am looking for but i cannot get any information on how to do it. if you know how please post it or send any information to codyrozell@hotmail.com

U

Unregistered

i also just bought the winTV-HVR-950 and i am trying to get my xbox 360 to run through it. i want to record videos from my halo 3 games and i cant figure out how to get it on there. i have heard that other people use it for the same purpose i am looking for but i cannot get any information on how to do it. if you know how please post it or send any information to codyrozell@hotmail.com

so there is still no answer to this? I've been trying to do the same, i can get video but no audio.