Has the Web Killed April Fools'?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That question might be needless, because I'd like to think the universal answer would be, "without a doubt". Growing up, April Fools' was all about pulling fun pranks on family members or friends. Making the entire experience a lot better, few people would actually clue in quick enough to what day it was. Good luck forgetting what day it is with our socially-connected Web!

april_fools_bus_040212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Same here. And when I see something that I used to like being thrown in the gutter, I tend to lose even more respect for whatever replaced it. The web of course killed many other things. I'd risk Language as being another thing the web killed, or is in the process of killing. Most specifically semantics.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd risk Language as being another thing the web killed

No... kidding. Based on my Facebook account alone, I've established that the vast majority of people I know do not understand the basics of the English language or don't mind coming off as illiterate (eg: using "to" instead of "too", shortening simple words like "to" to "2").

Twitter sure helped with this. When you're forced to use >160 characters or whatever it is, compromises are made. And those compromises seem to stick with some people.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
There was this post on UltimateGuitar.com saying Metallica broke up. I actually believed it for a few seconds.

On the language thing, yep -- no doubt the web is helping to run language into the ground. Remember, though, what is considered incorrect usage can eventually become accepted. For example, is using "they" instead of "he/she" when you are uncertain of gender bad grammar or acceptable? Many sources are beginning to consider it okay.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I think that people simply growing up and getting older has killed April Fool's day. I have been conditioned to not believe a word of what anyone says on the 1st and in turn, don't really attempt to play any tricks.

If you really want to fuck with someone, pull those same pranks around August.

marfig

No ROM battery
For example, is using "they" instead of "he/she" when you are uncertain of gender bad grammar or acceptable? Many sources are beginning to consider it okay.

That's curious. I do use "they" when unsure of the gender. Always thought this was indeed the correct way. The habit of separating words with a slash is what I was told is not proper English. There's another option I've seen mentioned briefly once. Use "she". But that always felt like positive discrimination to me. Besides it's often an horrible option because the reader may not get the hint the writer is unsure of the gender.

In any case these type of language issues aren't exactly what I was trying to hint at. I think they predate the mass usage of the Internet. Horrible language has its modern origins perhaps on SMS.

Instead I was thinking about the loss of meaning through overuse of certain words, or the actual destruction of words meaning, not by natural language evolution, but by improper usage.

For instance, during the early 90s no one had any doubts about the differences about hackers and crackers. The distinction was (and still is) meaningful. However the proliferation of non specialized media often using the word "hacker" to mean either one, ended up removing from our vocabulary a good and useful word.

Similarly the overuse of the word "epic" to mean anything one might like, regardless of actual degree, has reduced the word actual impact and robbed us of a real word that could be used if indeed we felt something had a truly epic proportion. The word lost most of its meaning.

Generally speaking the internet has reduced our vocabulary. Or change it in ways that, despite seen as a natural evolution by some, I feel are less then healthy. Language evolution has been bringing us richer vocabularies, not poorer ones.

Last edited:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Word meanings have always changed, though. Take "gay" for instance. Over the centuries it has meant successively "promiscuous", "brothel", "happy", "homosexual".