Harsh Lessons in Overreacting

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I've been known to overreact and jump to conclusions in the past, but Marie Lupe Cooley takes everything to a new level. When she saw a help wanted ad in a newspaper that looked similar to her current position, she assumed she was soon to be sacked. Of course, the most reasonable reaction to this was to delete $2.5 million worth of company data, including drawings and blueprints.

Once said and done, it turns out she wasn't going to be fired, and the position was for her bosses wife's business. Ouch. Not surprisingly, she's now out of a job, which is actually rather mild for what she did. I still have to ask... why wasn't all this data backed up in the first place? The boss was lucky enough to be able to get it all back via expensive means, but a backup would have prevented any of it from happening in the first place.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
mugshot_delete_files_012508.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
So, police say, she went to the architectural office where she works late Sunday night and erased 7 years' worth of drawings and blueprints, estimated to be worth $2.5 million. "She decided to mess up everything for everybody," Jacksonville Sheriff's Office spokesman Ken Jefferson told reporters. "She just sabotaged the entire business, thinking she was going to get axed."

Source: Fox News
I still don't understand businesses that don't backup their sensitive data. I back up truly trivial data... I think I'd be gung-ho if it concerned $2.5 million data.