GPU (not) Frying Hot!!

madmat

Soup Nazi
I've been experiencing the issue of my GPU reporting 256*C in the drivers, it happened the other day and I ended up having to reinstall drivers to reset it and today it did it again so I decided to try something. I run Speedfan to monitor my temps and it had been fine but I decided to shut it down and do a bit of gaming without it running and I used RivaTuner to log my temps. Lo and behold, no more overheated GPU readings, in fact running my GPU at 16p 6v at 385 core and 810 mem I'm getting idle temps of 40*C and load temps of 49*C at peak with an average of 47*C while running HL2 Lost Coast with a res of 1280x960 on high detail with 2xAA enabled.

It looks like Speedfan is borked in 3D apps with my card (eVGA GeForce 6 6800 AGP) which really sucks since I use it to monitor my CPU temps...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Speedfan is borked with a LOT of things, not just 3D Apps. Glad you figured it out though.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm going to go back to an earlier version that doesn't monitor the card and that should fix it, I never had problems with it.