Google's Chrome - Browser Done Right?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
On Monday, we linked to news of a Google browser that would possibly be launched sometime in the near future. Well, 'possibly' is the wrong word to use, because it was released the very next day. If only all rumors solidified so fast! I admit, even while making that news post, I remained skeptical about how great their browser could actually be. There is so much competition, so how would they have a hope to even compete?

Well, now that the browser is available, I am can rightfully say that my opinion has been changed entirely. Google isn't just releasing a browser in order to throw their badge on something... they're actually doing things that are unique, innovative, and common sense, in order to help the web evolve. I'm not so sure how their browser will help the web evolve, but I do know they are going in the right direction.

In case you didn't look at the top of the site today, be sure not to miss our in-depth look at the new browser. Do so even if you downloaded the browser yourself... you never know, we might just help you figure out something you didn't even know what there! What's most impressive to me is that despite the first release of Chrome being a beta, it's well done, and seems entirely stable. I can't wait to see what the follow-up releases are going to be like.

google_chrome_090308.jpg

One example in particular is when I am preparing a post for our news section or our forums, and then all of Firefox goes down in one swoop, without warning and without error. To prevent this, Chrome throws each tab into it's own instance within Windows, so if one tab crashes, it won't effect the other tabs that are still open. When first starting Chrome up, you'll notice that two instances are active - one for the browser, and another for the 'speed dial', I assume. Open up another tab, and you'll see a third instance, and this increases as you open more tabs.

Source: Chrome - Google's Attempt at the 'Ultimate Browser'

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Something I found over here:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

I am honestly not sure how to take this paragraph... any thoughts?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Nice, thanks Wisconsin. That paragraph didn't seem right, hence why I didn't immediately jump to suspecting the worst. It just didn't fit.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Google's policies on indexing is one of the reasons I stay away from any of their services unless I absolutely need them (and let's face it, Google is the most popular search engine for a reason, and the reason becomes more clear when you use another), but I doubt they are going to want to retain information on anything you do in the browser. This is still beta, and bugs have to be ironed out, so I'd wait until the final release, or release candidate, before deciding just how evil the company is.

I'd hope that they'd make it so it works like any other browser. If you use Firefox, Mozilla doesn't track everything you to, and no browser should. The sad thing for people who care is that there are far more people who -don't- care, so if Google wants to continue indexing people's surfing habits, then they are going to. People who are concerned over their privacy and rights are the minority nowadays, sadly.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I wasn't presuming the data was sent back to them.

I view it from the point that would you want your family, or kids, or someone that cleans your house to have immediate access to your CC and banking account numbers just by simply opening Chrome, going to the history section, and typing in some basic words? It shouldn't be indexing words and numbers on SSL encrypted pages, let alone financial pages.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good point, but Firefox isn't that much better. I think it depends a lot on the financial institution though. There's one bank I deal with that has their login set up a certain way that anyone could hop on and find out my card number. They can't get any further than that, but it's a problem regardless.

I agree with you 100% though, that should never be possible.