Google Launches 'Drive' Online Storage Service; Offers 5GB to Free Users

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Online storage services are a dime a dozen, so whenever a company finally decides to toss its hat into the ring, it's usually hard to get excited about. Of course, things change a bit when that company is Google. After all, millions are already heavily invested in the company's many other services, so the addition of online storage makes sense. And let's be honest, are there any other companies you'd have as much confidence with to keep your data safe and secure?

google_drive_041512.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Your Google Drive is not ready yet

Figures.

Anyways, other than dropbox, I've been using GMX file storage service associated with my GMX email account. It's a 2 GB service and it's a-ok. I still have to train myself in online storage. An area I'm not particularly interested in since I don't fancy the idea of being dependent on a string of variables (my router, ISP, service provider, paying the internet bill) to fail in order to lose access to my data. I prefer to keep my things with me. That said, I do use it as a sort of backup mechanism for certain files.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I prefer to keep my things with me. That said, I do use it as a sort of backup mechanism for certain files.

That's how I see things also. I'd mainly use a service like this for some sort of collaboration, or if I just wanted to put important files I would never want to lose on there as a third backup.

As for your account not being able to access Drive yet, I think they are being careful about rolling this out too fast, given the sheer demand.