Gigabyte Breaths New Life Into AGP

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
We all know of the song "that never ends", and that's immediately what I think of when I see an AGP graphics card. Despite the fact that the slot-type has been long ousted, some companies refuse to let go, and in reality, there has got to still be demand for such cards, which I find entirely interesting.

Here at Computex, Gigabyte is showing off a brand-new ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP card, designed for those with old machines who either want a recent offering, or simply have the need to get a new card for whatever reason. As a mainstream graphics chip, the performance wouldn't be up to par with what we see with mid-range PCI-E cards, but at least the option is there for those who need it.

The card is available right now, although I'm unsure of the pricing. Like ATI's other 4000-series offerings, this card supports DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 2.1, has 1GB of GDDR2 onboard, and also features HDMI and DVI connectors. Oh, and for some reason, it also supports CrossFireX. Try and figure that one out!

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I would think that there are ALOT of countries where the available technology is still 4-5 years old at best and they are eating these things up! People gotta remember that some countries restrict technology to the ordinary citizens so they have to work with what they get.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just noticed... what a whopping typo in the title. Oh well, comes with the rush rush rush territory.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I would think that there are ALOT of countries where the available technology is still 4-5 years old at best and they are eating these things up! People gotta remember that some countries restrict technology to the ordinary citizens so they have to work with what they get.

Yes... except that it takes these same countries a few years before such parts become readily available if they ever quite reach "readily available" status at all beyond online ordering + expensive customs issues. :(