Geforce 7300 GS coming soon

drool

Obliviot
Manufacturers are getting ready to launch very soon (by the end of the month normally) the Geforce 7300 GS :

slide28wv.jpg

4 pipelines, Shader Model 3.0 support, 550Mhz core, DDR3 support (maximum amount is 512MB DDR3!)

Nothing new on ATi's side so far, the X1900 (R580) is still slated for Q1 2006 release :

slide43cy.jpg

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's odd how they would release both a 6500 and 7300GS when they both look to have the same goal. I can't wait to see what the X1900 will be like though.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Do you notice that there's no mention of the 6800GS? I wonder what's up with that shiz...

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I don't quite see the need for these new chips.. They'll fill in some gaps that really aren't quite large. It may be another way of using up some of the extra cores before releasing another major revision.

drool

Obliviot
Actually, the Geforce 7300 GS is a new chip : it is the G72 manufactured in 90nm process. Granted, from a performance point of view, a 6600GT is better. However, many OEM and end users will most likely want the 7300 GS because of the nice sticker on the box advertising CineFX 4.0 (Subsurface scattering), Intellisample 4.0, CineFX 4.0 and HDR support. Never underestimate the power of marketing ;)

The 6500 on the other hand is the entry level card which will most likely replace the 6200 (6500 is supposed to have TurboCache too).

BTW, 6800GS exists, it's just that this manufacturer will not carry it.

tomato

Obliviot
So many different video cards, it boggles the mind if you don't keep track :eek: I'm currently looking at a 6800GS myself, great bang for the buck ;)