Geek? How would you want to be buried?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Many prefer choose to be buried in a certain graveyard due to religious reasons or location, and some prefer being cremated and having their ashes stored somewhere special, or spread around a location with sentimental value. With the growing number of "geeks" on this earth though, some are opting into some different... something that will be remembered by the ones they loved.

Take this one geek death, for example. This fella's brother passed after what we can assume was lung cancer (given the description, and after the cremation, the ashes were stored inside of a SPARC station IPC... a PC that almost looks like an old game console. Family and friends who wanted to leave notes could write them on post-it notes, and slide them through the floppy drive... a unique touch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26445696@N04/3961372594/
http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/09/29/193234/A-Geek-Funeral

What do you think? Is there any geeky way you want to handled posthumously? For me... I don't think so. I might be a geek at heart, but I don't think I'm in love with technology quite this much.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Way I figure it burials and funerals are for the survivers not the deceased... so, way I figure it, once I'm gone it won't make any difference to me, so they can do whatever they like with whatever I leave behind...

gibbersome

Coastermaker
I think I'd rather be buried in a grave with headstone and all. Second choice would be inside a Commodore64, but I'd rather not be put up for auction on ebay.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I am sort of like 2Tired ... bury me at sea & the family can put up some kind of memorial if they so choose. If not, then they will save themselves the "guilt" of not making it to my grave for Memorial Day or whatever. They will each remember me in their own way & in a way that they choose.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm with 2Tired and Psi*... I'd rather the family make the ultimate decision. I don't care if I have a gravestone or if I'm cremated to be honest. I'll be dead, I'm not going to be too concerned over the decision.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I'm with 2Tired and Psi*... I'd rather the family make the ultimate decision. I don't care if I have a gravestone or if I'm cremated to be honest. I'll be dead, I'm not going to be too concerned over the decision.

:D And even if it did bother you... what you gonna do about it?

gibbersome

Coastermaker

Why not spend the $10,000 on a typical memorial, casket and all? :)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Personally, once I'm dead I really don't have much stake in what happens. For all I care they could toss me in a 'fridge box and take me to the local landfill.

Although I've often thought it'd be funny to to specify that I want to be buried vertically... just to be as difficult in death as I was in life.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather–who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

a net joke that I just remembered :D Ok, it is not about getting buried, just getting there ... so to speak.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather–who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
a net joke that I just remembered :D Ok, it is not about getting buried, just getting there ... so to speak.

LOL!

Judging by the responses here, I'm guessing most don't possess a strong belief in the afterlife?

djw746

Obliviot
LOL!

Judging by the responses here, I'm guessing most don't possess a strong belief in the afterlife?

why would how you are buried be affected by your beliefs (unless your belief is that we will rise again as zombies... which i guess would eliminate cremation)

personally, if i live long enough to no longer be able to walk, I want to fly in a plane and bail out and be buried at a very high velocity (which may or may not result in an instant cremation as well)...

talk about going out i style

Don't beleve in religion
We are made of energy and energy never dies away, it transforms into another state of being.
this sounds remarkably religious... just an observation... since ideas like heaven, reincarnation, and ghosts... even if your belief is also has a loss of conscious life, it still SOUNDS religious (it is not, just funny to me)

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
:D And even if it did bother you... what you gonna do about it?

He will be the next guest star on SyFy's Ghost Hunter series. :p

LOL!

Whatever my beliefs in the afterlife might be, they certainly are not tied nor affected by my remains... it would be silly to bury myself in a casket that had DSL internet access wired in, or assume because I had been cremated it would make me any different than those that hadn't.

Frankly whatever's a cheap option sounds fine (which would actually be cremation, as I understand it). I wouldn't want to die and plug a final $10k in expenses on the family I leave behind.