Gasp! - Claw Machines Are Rigged?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Ahh, claw machines. One of the oldest and most popular attractions at any arcade, claw machines taunt you not with hopes of a high score, but a real prize. If you're skillful enough, you'll be able to orient the claw perfectly, reach down and snatch that cool toy. But, is that all that's involved? Or is a little bit of luck required as well?

claw_machine_072812.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

madmat

Soup Nazi
In the DVD release of Shaun of the Dead, Simon Pegg said that Nick Frost (who confirmed it) made about $75-$120 a day on the type of game Ed plays in The Winchester during the opening scene and later during the barricade scene.

This was prior to his success as an actor of course.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I don't recall that part at all (unless it wasn't in the Blu-ray). Been meaning to watch it again though so this might be a good excuse.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Hmm, I don't recall that part at all (unless it wasn't in the Blu-ray). Been meaning to watch it again though so this might be a good excuse.

Listen to the commentary as you watch it. Remember the opening scene with Shaun in the bar talking to his GF? Then they mention Ed and he's standing to the side playing a game? Later, after they go to the Winchester and Shaun turns the power back on, Ed borrows a quid from Liz and starts playing the same game.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, I don't remember that at all, but to be fair, I remember almost nothing about anything. I could consider a movie to be my absolute favorite and still not realize small details :S

Looking forward to watching it again though.

Here's my preferred solution:

CLICK

I was caught in the act, apparently.

Haha, nice.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Won 2 toys out of a machine one time when the toys had clips on them. Just hooked the claw through it. One hung just fine the other the movement kept it hanging on lol.

Lesson to any operators, make sure there are no hooks or anything on the toys :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Won 2 toys out of a machine one time when the toys had clips on them. Just hooked the claw through it. One hung just fine the other the movement kept it hanging on lol.

I've seen that happen also, hah. I've only used a machine like this once, and I think I lost. I just wish I had the strength of Kane back then to smash the window and run off with the haul.

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
I've seen that happen also, hah. I've only used a machine like this once, and I think I lost. I just wish I had the strength of Kane back then to smash the window and run off with the haul.

In all fairness, the Big Red Machine did NOT run off with the haul.

The Big Red Machine acted like the "other" big guy in the red suit and gave his toys away. ;)

:D