Gamer Sends Signed Xbox 360 for Repairs, Receives Back Clean

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Thanks to the Red Ring of Death problem that has plagued the Xbox 360 since its launch, there has been no shortage of stories from people who've sent their machine in for repairs. The latest incident is getting a lot of web play. Nathaniel sent his Xbox in to be repaired... nothing out of the ordinary there. Except his console had important signatures all over, including a detailed drawing... all done with permanent marker.

Along with the console was a heartfelt letter explaining the importance of the signatures. He was sure that whoever was to repair the machine would see it, understand the situation and then be careful. As it turns out though, either a disgruntled (read: idiot) worked on the console, or something else completely strange happened, but he received the Xbox back clean of all the ink.

The returned console had a few smudge marks, but most of them were in locations that were not even originally signed. If someone did this out of spite, they could have smudged it up to make it "appear" as though it was cleaned, though in reality, it could be a completely different chassis entirely. I am quite sure cleaning of the consoles body is not in usual form with Microsoft, and especially not with something that would require so much elbow grease.

The lesson? Don't send in something to get repaired if it means so much to you. $400 is nothing compared to the sentimental value of the console. Put it on a mantle-piece and go out and pick up a fresh one. The hardest lessons are usually learned after-the-fact, sadly.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
xbox_360_erased_030308.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
This console adorned with things representing very special memories held great sentimental value to Nathaniel as you can imagine. Not even taking into account that it had monetary value as well, it was simply a console that he adored. That is why shipping it off to the repair center was not the easiest choice to make. But between that and trying to repair it himself, it was the better option. Taking it apart would have voided the warranty so if his attempts at fixing it had been unsuccessful, he would have been screwed. Unfortunately he still got screwed, but he didn’t know that would happen at this point.

Source: Hawty McBloggy

NicePants42

Partition Master
Yup, that'd tick me right off. People can say that the kid was stupid, and I might agree to an extent, but not everyone has $350 lying around to go out and buy another console, and he did call and ask about exactly this kind of thing happening - what more assurance could he have gotten?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is true, but even so. I've done the same thing in the past with regards to confirmation and still been screwed over (not exactly with a case like this though).

It almost seems likely that some idiot got a hold of the machine and wiped it clean, because I really can't see Microsoft asking their employees to spend an hour on cleaning a consoles chassis.

Too bad regardless, but I bet no one else will ever make this mistake again. If this was a result of a disgruntled employee, I really hope Microsoft finds out who it was and gives them the boot. Who knows what else the person has done to other returned consoles.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I really can't see Microsoft asking their employees to spend an hour on cleaning a consoles chassis.
I completely disagree with that. I guarantee it doesn't take anywhere close to an hour, and if the unit isn't clean when it's returned, it's less likely to exude that "it's just like brand new" feeling, which is great for PR.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As I've never received a console back from RMA, I don't know the process. Since I am in a convenient position (I need to send mine in for RMA), I will hit a few key areas with a marker and see if it comes back clean.

That aside, the console that was returned had smudges on certain areas that did not even include a signature. So Microsoft might clean them, but they don't mind leaving the odd smudge it seems.

NicePants42

Partition Master
Depending on the marker and cleaner that were used, smudges where there were none isn't that surprising. Some inks can lift up like dry-erase marker under the right circumstances, and the object used to wipe it down may not have been clean.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
If he could afford all these trips to various places to get all these signatures then it is quite likely he could easily afford a new console. There is no way in hell I would have trusted ANY company with something like that with so much sentimental value. That is just not using your head. Still stinks it happened and that someone in the Microsoft tech center is obviously in need of a brain transplant though.