Gamepads for Racing Games = No-Brainer (So I've Learned)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've been a PC and console gamer all my life, kicking things off with a 286 and monochrome display for one, and the Nintendo Entertainment System for the other. In all these years of juggling both, I rarely used one platform's peripherals on the other. Sometimes it's due to laziness, other times it just has to do with the fact that I'm happy enough with either solution.

xbox_360_wireless_gamepad_053111.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
If you, like me, had no idea of the true difference a gamepad could make, don't live with the mistake too much longer.

Absolutely! I'm not big on racing games, but there was a recent game that really made me more aware of the possibility of buying a gamepad. That was Just Cause 2. The game just didn't seemed built for keyboard, being much harder to play in that mode.

Never came to actually do it, because the thought of buying a device for just one game doesn't appeal to me. Still, at the price these things go I'm probably being more lazy than conscious.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
In games like Dirt I have to disagree my G27 is far superior when it comes to precision control then using a XBox Conn. However games like Burnout or prev example Just Cause 2 along with Far Cry 2 or games that mix FPS and Driving the game pad is almost a requirement because the G27 is just an after thought if at all. There is no love put into the coding just making sure they can put the sticker there to say it supports it imo, but in general I agree with you Rob. The wheel has it's uses but just like my X52 the games that really use it properly are far and few between. I have not used a Keyboard for racing for the PC since 99 with NFS High Stakes. I did try to use the Microsoft Racing Wheel but the games that used it were a joke even today with the G27 it seems like an after thought. Then when the original Xbox (used the Madcatz model) came out I used the 3rd party drivers with the usb adapter for the PC for some of my racing games and that was better but still the games were lacking to support third party controllers. I don't think they really took off until the 360 came with vista then Win 7 and then 7 took off and devs finally wised up and started supporting that one at the very least.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
Actually I did great with the keyboard in Far Cry 2. It contributed a lot the decision of the devs to not emulate acceleration. Vehicles are relatively slow and one gets to top speed in a second or two.

This is the thing that I find most difficult to handle with the keyboard. Not so much shifting or turning, but having an accurate control on speed on games where acceleration is fully emulated.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Actually I did great with the keyboard in Far Cry 2. It contributed a lot the decision of the devs to not emulate acceleration. Vehicles are relatively slow and one gets to top speed in a second or two.

This is the thing that I find most difficult to handle with the keyboard. Not so much shifting or turning, but having an accurate control on speed on games where acceleration is fully emulated.

I generally have the problem of over turning when I use the keyboard, hence why I use the controller or my Logitech G27. I have tried to use the joystick on my Logitech G13 for this but no dice, it's just too awkward. A game that sticks out most to me that needs a controller for driving and m/kb for fps is GTAIV. Now in FC2 it defiantly was not as bad it was manageable but it was more fun driving when I could be more deliberate in my turning with the controller.

Also in general I find that I enjoy most 3rd person games like Batman AA with a controller as well.