GameFly to Launch Digital Game Distribution Service Later this Year

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When Valve launched its Steam platform in 2004, the company entered an unknown territory and I'm sure had no real idea of what to expect with regards to its success. Well, it goes without saying that creating Steam was the best decision the company ever made, and though it doesn't disclose revenue, it can be assumed that the revenue earned from Steam itself far surpasses that of Valve's own game sales.

gamefly_client_080911.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Shocker...as in it's shocking they didn't do this sooner! Really? You have to win that court battle with the USPS to come up with this? Honestly I have no problem with competition but it's like having 5 different ice cream parlors in a strip mall all selling the same stuff, just under different business names!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I somehow overlooked the fact that this is a RENTAL service, not a Steam competitor like Direct2Drive. You pay money to rent games and once your subscription is up (not entirely sure how it works), you lose access to them. Interesting idea this one...

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I somehow overlooked the fact that this is a RENTAL service, not a Steam competitor like Direct2Drive. You pay money to rent games and once your subscription is up (not entirely sure how it works), you lose access to them. Interesting idea this one...

Yeah, great way to save some money if the game isn't worth playing more than once... will be interesting to see where it goes from here.