G4TVs "Ultimate Gaming PC" is Ultimately Wrong

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
"How-To" guides are popular because people like direction. This is especially true when it comes to guides for building a new PC, especially an "ultimate gaming PC". Techgage's Senior Editor Greg King gave me a shout earlier, after he saw a segment on G4TechTV for accomplishing just that. Of course, most of you who frequent this site don't need a guide on which parts to purchase, but that's besides the point of this news posting.
<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td><object height="402" width="480">
<embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/19107" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="402" width="480"></object>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
With Morgan Webb behind the camera, it's hard to not listen to what she has to say. How often do good looking girls chat about computer hardware? Regardless, throughout the video, she lists various components that are needed to build an ultimate gaming rig. Some parts are great choices, such as the Antec 900 chassis, eVGA 680i (for SLI-support) and Intel's Quad-Core QX6850 (since 680i doesn't support 45nm). Other components include Corsair 2GB XMS3 Dominator memory, 2x 8800GT's, CM air CPU cooler, Raptor 150GB, etc.

Though it sounds like a killer machine, there are a few problems. First, they recommend an eVGA 680i board, and then minutes later suggest $725 DDR3 RAM that will not even work in it. What I also gain from the video is that high-end RAM makes a bigger difference with gaming than GPUs do. While most components are actually "high-end", for the GPU they chose two mid-range 8800GT cards. These are solid cards, but are far from being ultimate, and would also result in huge bottlenecks with big resolutions.

What should we take from this? Well, its been quite a while since G4 merged with TechTV and things sure don't seem to be getting better. Oh, and don't believe everything you see on TV.

Source: G4TV.com

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Woops-see-daisy...

I know they meant well but for God's sake, do a little bit of research or bring in someone from a site like Techgage or anyone at the local LAN center. Absolutely silly.

Seriously, how does this one even make it out the door?

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
Actually, the A1 revision EVGA 680i will support the 45nm dual core chips. Dunno about quads.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Is the A1 revision out now? As for quads, I am sure it will support it. The point Rob is making is that you can't even use DDR3 RAM on that board, regardless of current versions as the chipset just wont do it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks Matt, for pointing out my small error while completely ignoring the actual humorous topic at hand. That said, I haven't heard of 45nm support on that board, and if it doesn't support Quad, then that's a problem since that's all that's available.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Even if it does, just recently, support it... some noob some place is going to not know that, and think he is saving $20 bucks when he orders and older one.

Also: morgan webb just isn't that hot to me.

That case wouldn't be in my top ten.
Her reasons for the HDD choice are valid, but not why id go with a raptor. Also... one 150gb HDD? Id fill that up in a lil over an hour.
A 1000w PSU? over kill?
She never mentioned over clocking. SO does that proc have cooling issues stock?

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
Thanks Matt, for pointing out my small error while completely ignoring the actual humorous topic at hand. That said, I haven't heard of 45nm support on that board, and if it doesn't support Quad, then that's a problem since that's all that's available.

You're welcome <3

BTW I went to G4's forums and searched and no-one that's a member there has bothered to mention anything about that spot. Not the ram screw up, nothing. It's like it doesn't exist.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Well... Allow me.

Hello, Was Morgan Webb having a Paula Abdul moment?

http://forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?t=2725

Hello from techgage.

As you can read in that link... We have been wondering what exactly the deal with the X-play ultimate PC was. Was Morgan Webb personally unaware with some of the problems with the specs of that PC? Or was there some sort of incentive to use the particular parts for that PC that the X-play group did.

I am not here to make accusations. The above was really more of a jest then real commenting I suppose.

But seriously, what was up with your PC X-play?

http://forums.g4tv.com/thread.jspa?threadID=13916

The G4 boards are just full of kids who don't know jack about anything. Thats why they never bothered to adress the error because they couldn't even if they wanted to.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Welcome Blaze......

And yes, they have a long way to go before getting into the building scene.
But you have to start somewhere I suppose.
It used to be easy to build a machine, now there are so many options.
Like a VW came with a radio and a heater, now you GPS Navigator, electric windows, cruise control and all of that.
More to think about and merge together

Merlin