G.Skill Launches 24GB Memory Kit at DDR3-2000 CL8

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In today's high-end computing game, it's not uncommon to see people equip their PC's with at least 8GB or 12GB of RAM, depending on whether they're using a dual or triple-channel memory controller. Personally, I use 12GB, as it's a nice compliment to my Core i7, and yes, I do manage to take advantage of all of it, thanks to running multiple virtual machines and being a heavy multi-tasker. But could I take advantage of 24GB? Nah, I don't think so... not at this point in time.

gskill_24gb_ddr32000_070710.jpg

Read the rest of our news post here and discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Keep building out those VMs Rob and you'll push your current amount of memory :)

For people to really use this much RAM, they almost need a multiple socket mother board with multi-core CPUs to push the envelope. I wonder how long it will take for this much RAM to be common on desktop computers? I remember my first 1GB kit. I was stoked. That was only a few years ago.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, VM's are the perfect target for so much RAM, but for me personally, I use VM's for personal purposes, like light gaming if I need to, or to test out a Linux distro, or to create graphs, etc. At most, I have two VM's going at a time, so it's those who are developers that seem to truly benefit from such fast RAM and <em>lots</em> of it.

I am still in awe of this kit. I couldn't even get a 6x2GB kit stable on our gaming PC at DDR3-1600 CL8 1.65v, so to picture twice as much RAM with faster frequencies with the same timings? Damn!