Futuremark Announces "Lords of Overclocking" Event

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the intense emphasis put on overclocking in the past year? Just last summer, ASUS and Gigabyte held their own overclocking championships, and Gigabyte in particular saw enough value to continue holding the same this year. In case you missed it, we covered one such event just a few weeks ago, and will cover the final in two weeks.

Recently, even MSI, a company not really well known for major overclocking, announced that it was also going to hold an overclocking championship, which took at least me by surprise. Today, Futuremark announced that they were joining in on the fun, by holding their own event as well, with the grand prize winner being sent to MSI's overclocking final, in addition to walking away with a bunch of product.

Futuremark's contest is a little different, because rather than have select overclockers participate, anyone can - yes, even you. The benchmark? 3DMark 2006. How do you win? Isn't that obvious? Overclock the heck out of your machine, and come out on top for your particular region (Europe, Americas, Asia). It's that simple. It is too bad, however, that this contest essentially locks out anyone with a budget. You're not going to see a winner with air cooling either...

futuremark_lords_of_overclocking_051909.jpg

Futuremark Corporation today announced a new competition for PC overclockers everywhere. The contest will see game, DIY, and overclocking enthusiasts from Europe, Asia and the Americas competing for the "Lord of Overclocking" title for their region. With Futuremark anticipating over 200,000 entries, the online contest will be the largest overclocking competition ever staged.

Source: Lords of Overclocking

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I was going to try this just for a laugh and because I wanted to compare my 3DMark06 score to that of my old Q6600 + 320mb 8800GTS system, because obviously no one with a single GPU is going to win this.

Then I discovered 3DMark06 has some severe issues running on 64bit OS's... I can't even make it run on Windows 7 because it can't detect the OpenAL driver... that is just stupid. 3DMark Vantage is even more annoying, suffers from physics driver issues, and requires specific certified driver versions (Windows 7 185.85 WHQL is not certified) for publication so it is an even more borked set up... but at least it worked.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It just doesn't seem like a fair contest as usual, like most overclocking competitions. The people who win are the people who don't care about the hardware they win, because if they won in the first place, they obviously already have insane amounts of hardware at home.