Fujitsu K Computer Takes First Place in TOP500 List of Supercomputers

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Remember that 2.6 petaflop monster supercomputer from China, the Tianhe-1A, you know, only the fastest super computer known to man? That's so 6 months ago and so slow. This week saw a new supercomputer rise to the top spot, the K Computer from Japan with a dizzying 8.16 petaflops under Linpack - and it's not even complete.

k_computer_062211.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Hmm...should I make the typical Crysis related comment?

Ha @ your sig!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Is it just me or do those photos just look like CGI or some rendering project? They almost even look like a few of those engine room shots from Star Trek TOS... :D

Really interesting to see a non-x86 processor based super-computer at the top again. All the better Japan has the top honors, and will probably keep it for awhile given the planned capacity upgrades over the next two years!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
@Optix
Yeah... i couldn't resist, it had to be turned into a sig :D

@Kougar
I know what you mean about the CG - one of the pics had a really basic 3D render look... the one above looks closer to a photo really. As for non x86, yeah, about time, but it brings into question the long term support due to Oracle. This system would have been in development for years, long before talks of Oracle taking over SUN. I guess the use of the Venus CPUs would make CUDA support more difficult, or CUDA was still in its infancy when the project was planned.

Will it be denounced in 6 months time? I really couldn't hazard a guess, it does seem every 6 months a new system is announced... but hey, at over 3 times the computation of the previous No. 1... there's a fair bit of catching up to do. Intel MIC based systems are a good year or 2 away, so who knows...