Fourteen Best Linux Distros

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Alright, I've been posting a lot of Linux-related news lately, but it's hard not to. There have been so many good articles lately, that I'd feel like I'm doing a disservice by not posting them. Last week, I linked to Lifehacker, who posted a good article on choosing between Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu. This week, Tech Radar ups that ante by taking a brief look at fourteen.

Despite the fact that they've chosen fourteen distros to feature, all of them are rather well-known, with the more uncommon of the bunch being Slackware, CentOS (used more in servers) and Knoppix. The article takes a look at what makes each distro unique and for whom it's built. Many of these "guides" usually overlook key points for certain distros, but this one is quite well-done, so it's definitely worth a read if you are still undecided on which distro to call home.

My heart still belongs to Gentoo... for now at least.

linux_penguin_full_news_logo.jpg

The main difference though is that Gentoo does not try to hide the inner workings of the distro behind easy to use GUI tools. This is a distro for those that want to know what is going on behind the scenes and get their hands dirty tweaking it. For this is Gentoo's greatest strength: the sheer amount of control that it offers the users.

Source: Tech Radar