Flickr Accidentally Deletes User's 4,000 Photos

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
You don't have to be a member of Flickr to experience the pain off of this one! Mirco Wilhelm, a devout Flickr user that has in total uploaded over 4,000 photos to the site, sent in a complaint to customer service about another user that was breaking the rules (publishing stolen photos). The next time Mirco visited his account at the popular photo-sharing site... it was gone.

flickr_020411.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd have to assume he did... at least I'd hope so. Some photographers I know have INSANE backup schemes, so I think he might be safe, but even so... that's a LOT of work down the "tubes". It can't be quick to upload that many photos and tag them each. Ugh.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
"His case was unique" probably just means nobody has come forward or was heard until now, I'd suspect. Or didn't lose enough images that they cared to speak out about it. 4,000 is a great deal of images, work, links, and commentary to lose.

But that's why a "backup" is by definition a secondary copy of the same materials elsewhere. Otherwise all it takes is one single button press to lose it all, regardless of where it is.