Fixing Firefox 3.6's Default Relative Tabs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Late last week, Mozilla released a major update to its Firefox browser, bringing us up to version 3.6. This version brings a couple of new things to the table, such as improved Personas support (custom browser themes that apply instantly), protection from out-of-date plugins, improved full screen video, faster JavaScript performance and a lot of cool toys for developers.

firefox_36_techgage_012510.jpg

You can read the rest of our news post here.

Yangster

Obliviot
:/ I actually really like the fact that it opens tabs next to your current tab. I always wondered why Chrome and IE did it, but FF doesn't. I actually dloaded the plug-in TabMix Plus so that I can change the tab ordering. And I don't see how it could have been inconvenient. It opens a new tab next to your current tab, you don't have to scroll or click more than once to reach that tab, how can that be anything but convenient? It's especially convenient for me since I have a bad habit of leaving open a huge number of tabs.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Opera offers the same option. It just depends on how you like your tabs arranged.

Some people (notably myself amongst them) use the tab stacking to "order" tabs by oldest to newest. Tabs I just opened start on the bottom of the stack and tabs that I already had opened are towards the top. When one has 20+ tabs open this arrangement makes keeping tabs on which tabs are which fairly easy. :D If I only used a few tabs at a time (or could only view a few at a time, which is one thing I find highly annoying in Firefox) then I would prefer the alternate method. In Opera all tabs are always on screen.