first timmer clocker

Kronaz

Obliviot
hi i have a question how do i clock my gt7900ko and my 939 what the most safest way im a noob to this cooling is no problem my pc runs at 13cel on idle and 4hrs into bf2142 its at 15cel i apreciat any comments

(aint got spell shek)

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Well, those temperatures don't look right. You need a way to take reliable temperatures before you can think about overclocking. If your processor was running at about 43 C instead of 13 C, I'd believe your temperature numbers, and then we could get down to business.

Check the hardware monitor in your BIOS and see how hot your processor is really running. If the BIOS also says 13 C, then something is wrong with the way your motherboard takes temperatures, and overclocking would be a substantially riskier business.

Kronaz

Obliviot
yes its right see my pc is watercolled and the radiator is in my frig (im not bsing you guys) so my pc is very cool its at 13c goes no higher then 17 c was at 46 to 53 c

Attachments

• Set10_01.jpg
    Set10_01.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 623

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha. You ask for the safest way to overclock but put a rad in a fridge! Seriously though, that's cool. (cf)Eclipse on these forums recently did an experiment where he forced all the cool outside air towards his rad... he actually managed to hit negative temps on his CPU.

Regardless, just grab a program like RivaTuner and go to the overclocking tab and raise up the core and memory clocks and keep going until you find something stable. I'd start by raising each 5MHz at a time, until the card either crashes or you see artifacts.

Or.. download nTune and let it overclock the card for you, which may be the easiest way:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

Kronaz

Obliviot
ok ill try that now is that for my vid or my cpu i want to max out my cpu its a 3200 im getting a duelcore 4600 or 4800 just want to testi it out on this cpu first

Kronaz

Obliviot
ok i have a amn 3200 its running at 2.08 ghz what the highest it can go

ht freq 5x
cpu freq 207
k8 cpu x10
ddr clock auto
pci clock 100mhz
robust grafic auto
cpu volts 1.50 v
chipsetcore +0.1v
ht link +0.1v
ddr volt +0.1v
heat is no problem its cool can any one help me get this thing maxed speed is the key to frags poor noobs
any help would be appreciated thx

JacKz5o

Obliviot
Haha. You ask for the safest way to overclock but put a rad in a fridge! Seriously though, that's cool. (cf)Eclipse on these forums recently did an experiment where he forced all the cool outside air towards his rad... he actually managed to hit negative temps on his CPU.

Regardless, just grab a program like RivaTuner and go to the overclocking tab and raise up the core and memory clocks and keep going until you find something stable. I'd start by raising each 5MHz at a time, until the card either crashes or you see artifacts.

Or.. download nTune and let it overclock the card for you, which may be the easiest way:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

Negative temps are pwnage :D

Did he put on dielectrice grease or anything? Because if condensation formed his CPU would have gone poof.

RivaTuner and CoolBits are two of the best for overclocking GPUs. Once overclocked, use ATiTools to scan for artifacts, you can still use it even if you have an nVidia card.

ok i have a amn 3200 its running at 2.08 ghz what the highest it can go

ht freq 5x
cpu freq 207
k8 cpu x10
ddr clock auto
pci clock 100mhz
robust grafic auto
cpu volts 1.50 v
chipsetcore +0.1v
ht link +0.1v
ddr volt +0.1v
heat is no problem its cool can any one help me get this thing maxed speed is the key to frags poor noobs
any help would be appreciated thx

What RAM do you have? If you have good overclocking RAM you can/should run your RAM freq with your CPU freq in a 1:1 ratio. If not you'll need to use a divider to run the CPU speed higher than the RAM speed. Also, I thought the stock vcore for 90nm 939 chips were 1.35? Did you increase it to 1.5?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did he put on dielectrice grease or anything? Because if condensation formed his CPU would have gone poof.

No, it was such a dry night that he didn't need to worry about anything.

cpu volts 1.50 v

That is an insane amount of voltage for a non-existent overclock. That clockspeed should require no more than 1.3v, really.

I agree with JacKz5o though, your RAM might be holding you back a bit. What kind of RAM and motherboard do you have?

Do us a favor also and download CPU-z (http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-138.zip) and look for what kind of core the CPU is using (San Diego, Venice, Winchester, et cetera).

Kronaz

Obliviot
i have corsair ddr400 memory its 2 gigs motherboard is a gigabyte ga-k8n sli triton nforce 4 sli multi gpu sapport yes i did bunp up the volts to 1.50v i moved them all have to learn some how lol its a venice

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ok, I use the same CPU in my main computer right now. As you can see in my sig, I have it at 2.7GHz, but I have the benefit of very overclockable ram.

I do believe it's likely the ram that's holding you back. Under the BIOS, you will see various CPU/RAM dividers, like 1:1, 10:9, 5:4, et cetera. This means that the CPU and RAM will work on a divider.

Say for instance you choose 200HTT, which would result in a 2.0GHz CPU and DDR400 speeds. If you choose the 5:4 divider in this instance, it would mean that the CPU would still be 2.0GHz, but the ram would be approximately DDR320:

200 / (5/4) = 160MHz (* 2 = DDR320)

So, if your RAM is holding you back, then as you increase the CPU GHz, you will need to lower the divider, to make sure that the memory is not going to go over DDR400. Or... you could try increasing the Vdimm, but I wouldn't go far above 3.0v without a fan on the ram.

You can use that CPU-z program to keep track of your ram speeds, under the tab there. Just multiply the MHz by 2 to see what your real "DDR" speed is.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
With your cpu running so cool, I wouldn't doubt you could get higher 2Ghz range. 3GHz is a lot to ask for from the Venice chip. It will all depend on the quality of the chip build, and your ram. If you have ram capable of at least 300MHz (PC4800, DDR600), you may be able to get close. I'm confident you could hit 2.5-2.7GHz without a problem.

Remember though, the higher the clock speed the more voltage you'll need. I've seen people getting 3GHz but having to use 1.6v or higher for the core. Even if you kept the temperatures down, running it at a voltage that high will have an effect on the lifespan of the cpu.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
Whats your CPU stepping? It should say on the top of your IHS.

Remember though, the higher the clock speed the more voltage you'll need. I've seen people getting 3GHz but having to use 1.6v or higher for the core. Even if you kept the temperatures down, running it at a voltage that high will have an effect on the lifespan of the cpu.

Yes it will! A friend of mine from another forum had his chip @ 1.65 vcore with a big overclock and it started losing stability after a year of 24/7 folding, he was also on -40 phase! I believe the chip was an Athlon X2 but im not so sure.. i'll go and check.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
The Venice cores have the E3 stepping. My Opteron 150 has the Venus core and is E4.

Thats the fake CPU-Z "stepping". The real one would look something like this: CBASC 0415XPMW

Athlon-64-Lenara-CG.jpg

That stepping shows when the chip was made, where it was made, how it was made, and a lot of other useful information. Chips with good steppings like CCBBE for Opterons or KACAE for Sandy 3700+ can go over 3GHz on air easily.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Oh, you're talking about the actual date and manufacturing coding. Mine's a CABGE somethin somethin. He'd have to remove the heatsink to find that out. If you're up for it Kronaz, take a peak.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
Oh, you're talking about the actual date and manufacturing coding. Mine's a CABGE somethin somethin. He'd have to remove the heatsink to find that out. If you're up for it Kronaz, take a peak.

Take a peek if you can :)

Some steppings are known to overclock higher than others. Give me your stepping and I can search around and tell you how high other people got that chip to run.

Kronaz

Obliviot
ok i removed it and its
amd athlon 64
ada3200daa4bw
nbbwe0601fpmw
z876917a61825
and its made in malaysia