First pictures of Intel's Bloomfield motherboard

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
First Nehalem motherboard spotted... definitely an early prototype for testing purposes, but it has a few interesting additions...

Fudzilla has the scoop here

We're curious about what "Joe's order the smackover special" means below the bottom PCIe x1 slot,

I can think of a few other reasons... Anyone else notice the "Jolly Roger"? :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nice find! I'll post this in the mornings news.

I think it's difficult to judge things on such an early sample, but things look good so far. I -really- hate the fact that the board uses a 4-Pin Molex connector though... such a major pain in the ass. Not to mention the location of the EPS12+ is in the weirdest location, kind of.

Not sure I like the other of the memory being right at the top either, but who knows, it might work. It looks like an eATX as well... I could be wrong, but that's what it appears to be. I wonder if all Nehalem boards will be?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
As ya said it's just a early prototype board for QC testing, usually design isn't even considered they just need a stable, working platform.

New chipset, new socket, only accepts Nehalem Xeons, they had to make it from scratch. :) They love to silkscreen little things like that "Smackover special" comment or Jolly Roger... so I probably should read anything into them, but nonetheless its fun to contemplate that they know something about Nehalem's performance we don't... :D

Socket reminds me of a 478/775 hybrid.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Board looks ATX to me, but with a picture its hard to say. I don't mind the memory up high like that, that design worked well for DFI with the Nvidia based S939 boards.