First Impressions: From Dust

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've never been a big fan of god games, and with the last one I played being Black & White, it's been a good ten years since I last touched one. But when a friend linked me to a From Dust gameplay video a couple of weeks ago, the game grabbed my attention, and I had a good feeling that my god game drought would be soon ending.

from_dust_02_081811_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Hmm... but a bit disappointing, no? Yet Another Casual Game. I was expecting a bit more. But then and again, I didn't notice the price tag even after being told about it. Still, this is the creator of Another World. Not some lame developer publishing for Paradox and missing a good opportunity to make a great pirate game (see if you know what I'm talking about).

The Ubisoft antics don't make it any more appealing either. Overall it's no Populous for sure. And much less than Black & White. It's For The Dustbin. :(

marfig

No ROM battery
The first one. It was the big novelty. I wouldn't stop playing it for weeks and weeks.

Populous II was no doubt a better game. More polished, more complex, lots of new features that introduced a lot more strategy into the game. But that was the year Lemmings first, and Civilization later, hit the shelves. Those two games rocked my world. I never got to play much of Populous II.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm... but a bit disappointing, no?

Yes, that is true to an extent. This is a $15 game though, so I didn't expect it to be quite as epic as Another World was. You know Ubisoft though... anything to make a quick buck.

I still plan to play through it and review it though. Might not be the meatiest game out there, but with a genre as few games as this one, it's not too bad. You can bet it's going to be one of those games that ends up going on for a REAL good price during some Steam sale, though. Those with patience are advised to hold out.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
My favorite Ubisoft series of all time is still Rayman. Played the first ones on Playstation...I had the Dreamcast one (my favorite)....ahhhh memories. I think Fur Fighters was my favorite Dreamcast game ever....so much fun :D