Firefox Might Not Ever Hit a 25% Market Share

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If there has been just one Web browser to give Microsoft a bit of a scare, it's been Mozilla's Firefox. As soon as that browser hit its 1.0 version, it simply took off, and steadily climbed the charts month after month. Not surprisingly, it was around this exact same time that Internet Explorer's share began to fall, and even to this day, there's rarely a month with an actual gain.

firefox_share_ars_technica_030310.png

You can read the rest of our post here.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I don't think a 3 month decline means it'll never reach 25%, i mean, it's lost 0.49% in 3 months, thats hardly a call for massive decline. But at least they'll get some publicity after this, maybe force them to release an update of some sort, since they are due one. At least Ars threw in the word 'Might'. We'll see when FF4.0 gets released...

Glider

Coastermaker
Well, Firefox is digging its own grave IMHO... Taking over 50MB of RAM (1 tab!) and a startup time of 30 seconds is just too greedy, for just a browser... Not to mention the awful javascript engine...

I for one am waiting for some specific "extensions" of Firefox to hit Chrome, and then I'll switch to Chrome

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm stuck in a bad spot, because on one hand, I like Chrome, but it's just a bit too minimalist for my liking. I never know where something I need to tackle is going to appear (such as a download), but I do like the amazing speed it offers. I wish Mozilla would just get its act together and bring Firefox back to its roots, when it was blazingly fast. People tend to blame the extensions people use for a slow Firefox, but I don't buy it. I've used Firefox on some machines with no extentions at all and it was still not as fast as Chrome (or even Safari).