Firefox for Android

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'd love to try it if my stupid smartphone would support it. Supports Opera but not teh fox.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Yeah that was in Fennec 12 and Beta 14 and up. Been waiting awhile for it to go stable. They actually skipped 11 12 and 13.

Can't get Sync working in this version though.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Somehow my phone has never supported Firefox, despite having a compatible version of the OS. But regardless, the more time goes on, the less amount of interest I have in the desktop variant, so I can't see things being much better on a phone. I'll stick to Dolphin.

madmat

Soup Nazi
My OS is compatible but you have to have a minimum CPU clock speed for FF and mine doesn't meet the requirement.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am in the same boat then I'm sure. I still have an old 800MHz (I think) beater. Not that it matters much. What I'd really like to be able to run is Chrome, so that I could sync bookmarks between desktop and phone, but noooo, Android 4 only.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Any of you who do use it. If text seems to get big in areas where there is not a lot of writing. Set the font to tiny and it should look like it did in 10 and older. Dunno what the default is as I have to work off converted data until sync gets fixed.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Meh found out what the issue with Sync was. Its on Mozilla's help site. Apparently a problem with Android I can not have sync setup for 2 apps using the same thing.

I know in Beta 14 they were trying to merge Firefox Sync with Sync. I had 14, Beta 14 and Nightly installed with all of these now using that new method it would not work. Uninstalled the other sync works fine now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, so I've been using Firefox for Android these past couple of days, and I have to say that I'm hugely impressed. While I find Chrome stable (for the most part) and Firefox not, PC-wise, I find the opposite to be true on mobile. Chrome stalls, crashes and is generally wonky too often. I then moved over to Firefox, and it's been a dream. Pages load fast, moving pages around is fluid and it generally looks way more attractive. I am rather impressed.

In the latest beta, there's a book-reading option as well that becomes enabled when the page is fully loaded. It looks pretty damn nice.

Screenshot_2012-09-20-20-16-57.png

Screenshot_2012-09-20-20-26-06.png