Final Decision.

leecho7

Partition Master
Well I made my final decision. Instead of the uber rig I mentioned earlier, I'm getting an iBook from Apple. I talked to my proffessor, he told me that his iBook outperforms any pc system when it comes to stable video editing. Plus I get a generous student discount on the iBook and software(s) including Final Cut Pro.
I was leaning more towards my previous rig, but I hardly play games anymore and figured I should just get something strictly for video editing.

I checked out my friends iBook (which was a year or two older than my professors) and it was amazingly fast and smooth considering the out of date hardware he had.

With the money I'll save from getting an iBook, I can use that to go towards my uber camera.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Sounds like a wise decision.
It's also cool that you got over playing games...I've quit every game I had going, except I'm stuck with CS... :cool:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh yeah, it's hard to give up gaming entirely. I don't have much time for gaming either lately, but DoD has my attention a little bit.

Lee, that's an awesome choice, you are going to LOVE that iBook. What version are you getting?

leecho7

Partition Master
The new one powered by G4. I'm getting the 1.47 gig with a 14" display one for about $1099.

I'll be saving about $500 getting this instead of the uber rig. I'll probably use that to upgrade my current rig's graphics card to a 6600 or something or maybe a low end AMD 64 bit processor, like the 3200+.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good plan man, can't argue there. $1099 isn't too bad at all, it will be a smoking fast machine. Final Cut Pro is definitely the main reason I'd get an Apple if I was into Video Editing.. that program is un-believable.

leecho7

Partition Master
Well I just got an Apple Imac G5 last night instead of the iBook. Ever since the newer models came out, the older ones were discountinued, but dropped in price about 500 bucks.

Now all I need is a firewire hub, 2X300+gig external harddrives, extra 1gig of pc3200 ram, and final cut studio.

Damn I need to win the lottery.