File Transfers Over 1Gbit/s Ethernet: SSD vs. HDD

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
As mentioned a couple times recently in our news and content, we're in the process of completely overhauling our suite for motherboard testing, to help assure that we're delivering the more relevant data possible. Taking into account the fact that not all NICs are built equal, one introduction we'll be making is Ethernet testing, to see which integrated card will deliver you the best networking experience.

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This article appeals to my inner nerd.

I think this will be very relevant data in upcoming motherboard testing and something that more sites should look at.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I think this is great stuff and affects everyone that has at least 2 computers.:rolleyes:

I do game, not nearly as much as I used to or would like ... I prefer FPS & used to get into multi-player across our network. That was back when I had a real job & the home system was ... well, a home system, we made sure that we had fast drives (SCSI) & always the latest network standard. Doesn't everyone do this?!?!;)

Now (self employed) most of the traffic is complex. There are license server/clients & the license times out if things don't ping each other properly. I have multiple number crunchers that exchange volumes of files with each other. I think I have a problem where the file transfers increase network latency at critical "ping" times ... some strange random issues.

It will be interesting where this leads. Besides, it is something to tweak and make better!:eek:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I like this idea and I like the fact that this is Rob's baby. Not a lot of sites test this (none immediately come to mind but I'm sure there are tests ran) so it's something that would set Techgage apart from the rest of the pack.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
just thinking?

Just occurred to me, perform the identical drive to drive tests but internal in one of those machines.

This is for reference as well as a sort of measure of internal PC system overhead ... well sort of an overhead as I will have to think about that a bit more. To be really anal, do the internal tests on each machine. I think the deviations would indicate a "noise floor".

Anyway it would be fun to see the results of these tests on the same plot as across the network.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Just occurred to me, perform the identical drive to drive tests but internal in one of those machines.

This is for reference as well as a sort of measure of internal PC system overhead ... well sort of an overhead as I will have to think about that a bit more. To be really anal, do the internal tests on each machine. I think the deviations would indicate a "noise floor".

Anyway it would be fun to see the results of these tests on the same plot as across the network.

Hmm, to be honest I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Both of our test PCs had the SSDs installed internally.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I was wondering what the transfer speeds, using this test, are between HDDs/SSDs in the same computer.