Fan hole cuts

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Maybe some of the old timers know of this.....
If you are cutting a hole for a 120mm fan, you can use a DVD or a CD to mark the hole.
For the 80mm fans you can use a pocket CD ( 280mb)

Marks for a perfect size to cut

Merlin

madstork91

The One, The Only...
actually kinda cool info... Thanks!

Also, the standard paper jacket on a pocket cd (mini disc) is about the size of the square for mounting.

I wonder if this was planned by someone back in the day?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
After cracking a side window, trying to drill the mounting holes for screws, I just used the high heat glue gun.
Holds better than super glue and no more cracked plexi or lexan

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Thats a thought, but I never ever had a fan to quit
And even if you wanted to reposition, you score the plastic bead and then use a hair dryer to soften the glue...then remove. I do find the glue deadens the fan noise as well. I like the Thermaltake 3 speed fans with the little switch.

Merlin

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
using a drill on polycarbonate requires that you alter the drill bit. You have to change the angle of attack on the drill head, to make it "scrape" instead of "dig".

It's the digging that causes the cracks and such. If you have a grinding wheel, you can grind down the leading edges on the head so that you can make perfect holes.

Depending on the size, if I am putting larger holes in, I love using spade bits. Their scraping action is perfect for this application.

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/acrdrill.htm

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
using a drill on polycarbonate requires that you alter the drill bit. You have to change the angle of attack on the drill head, to make it "scrape" instead of "dig".

It's the digging that causes the cracks and such. If you have a grinding wheel, you can grind down the leading edges on the head so that you can make perfect holes.

Depending on the size, if I am putting larger holes in, I love using spade bits. Their scraping action is perfect for this application.

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/acrdrill.htm

That's a great idea....I may try that next time

Merlin

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Sorry that was kind of a crappy response by me! (damn kids were all over me! ;) )

I've never used a mason bit, but from looking at them, the leading bit edge has a larger section that will (I think) throw the hole off. I have some scrap and I can test that theory and get back to you, cool?

:)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Sorry that was kind of a crappy response by me! (damn kids were all over me! ;) )

I've never used a mason bit, but from looking at them, the leading bit edge has a larger section that will (I think) throw the hole off. I have some scrap and I can test that theory and get back to you, cool?

:)
Kewl Beans

I also thought about a wood burning iron, to mabe start the hole and then ream to size with a bit.
My mind wanders ya know....lol
But the hot wire cutter does a great job at cutting shapes.
I made some airbrush stencils that way, out of, I believe it was 1/8" Lexan. Works great

Merlin

madstork91

The One, The Only...
If you start the hole with a soldering iron or wood burning tool could you still use a regular bit?

If the hole made by the burning was deep enough to get the initial part of the drill into the material that is...