Family Guy Set to Help Sell Windows 7

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
One of the hottest TV shows of the season, and even previous TV seasons, is Seth MacFarlane's Family Guy. I admit that I personally thought the episodes so far this season have been mediocre at best (and I'm a huge FG fan), but it seems like I'm one of the few who feel that way. It was reported just the other day that the show actually eclipsed ABC's Desperate Housewives as being the Sunday night leader in terms of ratings.

Since Windows 7 is launching right in the middle of TV's fall line-up, Microsoft had a unique advertising idea. What about sponsoring a Family Guy episode with the overall hint of recommending the company's latest OS to consumers? That's not just an idea, but a reality, as the show is currently in the works, and will be called, "Family Guy Presents: Seth & Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show". It will air on Sunday, November 8 at 8:30PM ET (and PT).

The idea behind this unique advertisement is a throwback to "Texaco Star Theater", which was a TV variety show that featured a main overall brand, although it didn't entirely effect the programming itself. So in this Family Guy episode, it's unlikely that the episode will bluntly force Windows 7 into the dialog. Rather, I see it as more of an overall sponsorship, which will be mentioned during the commercial breaks. I could be wrong, though. It's going to be interesting. Here's to hoping it's actually a funny episode!

family_guy_promo_pic_090909.png

"While the way people watch TV has evolved, their desire to be entertained, and marketers' need to deliver compelling content, hasn't changed," the companies said. "Microsoft and Fox are joining forces to showcase how the power and simplicity of Windows 7 can enhance the content Fox viewers enjoy most, whether it's comedy, drama, sports, or reality programming on TV or on the Web."

Source: Beyond Binary

MacMan

Partition Master
If your hoping for comedy... forget it! I read a piece from a guy that saw the entire thing and he said it was not worth setting your vcr! From the sampe that I have seen, I think he is right on the money as you can see from the clip of the show below:

http://win741.com/

Psi*

Tech Monkey
My birthday! mmm ... ominous foreboding :confused: feeling wrt W7. I don't think family is funny anyway.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
My birthday! mmm ... ominous foreboding :confused: feeling wrt W7. I don't think family is funny anyway.

Family Guy just seems better because of The Cleveland Show, which makes any show juxtaposed to it look good.

In my opinion the best moments in Family Guy were during Seasons 1-4 and it's currently suffering from The Simpsons Syndrome: having been on air for so long they're running out of good episode ideas.

Either way, it's a unique way to advertise considering Family Guy's large viewership.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
MacMan said:
I read a piece from a guy that saw the entire thing and he said it was not worth setting your vcr!

Should we trust someone who talks about setting a VCR is my question! I can't even remember the last time I even saw a VCR, let alone had to use one.

As for that preview... that's not too good, I admit. It's rehashed material, which doesn't help.

gibbersome said:
Family Guy just seems better because of The Cleveland Show, which makes any show juxtaposed to it look good.

I'm still not sure whether I can say that I "like" The Cleveland Show. It has its moments, but it seems nowhere near as good as Family Guy was back in the day. For that matter, Family Guy hasn't been too stellar this season either. I agree that the earlier seasons were the best, without question.