EVGA GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The first mid-range offering of NVIDIA's GeForce 200 series is here, in the form of the GTS 250. As a follow-up to the company's 9800 GTX+, we already have a good idea of what to expect. But, various improvements aim to make things interesting, such as a redesigned PCB, smaller form-factor, single PCI-E connector, improved temperatures and refreshed pricing.

You can read our full review of NVIDIA's latest mid-range offering right here and discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
it feels like Nvidia is kinda, Milking the 9800GTX+/8800GTX thingy!?!
heard of studios Milking movie franchises but this is just weird to release almost the same thing again and again with the performance difference being not big. ah well i'll wait for the end of this year and see where the war of the GPUs takes us when both of em come out with new architectures n smaller dies. 45nm or 32nm?!?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hm, so if ignoring rebates... the GTS 250 1GB is $10 cheaper than a 9800GTX+ 512mb. That sounds good to me, and having a cheaper 512mb model is even better. Nice to know NVIDIA wasn't trying to rip off its customers on this one.

slugbug

Coastermaker
As long as they don't reduce the number of shaders like they did with the 9600 GSO. They reduced the shaders from 96 to 48 and have the nerve to still call it by the same product name.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
As long as they don't reduce the number of shaders like they did with the 9600 GSO. They reduced the shaders from 96 to 48 and have the nerve to still call it by the same product name.

Exactly. Except that isn't the half of it, they also cut the memory bus width as well.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree Doomsday, and it's kind of depressing. Last year when I took at look at the original 9800 GTX, I wasn't impressed. It was essentially an overclocked 8800 GTS. Now we have the same thing again. But as bad as that might be, various improvements were made, and the pricing is right, so it's still a great option. I still look forward to NVIDIA's true mid-range cards based on the GT 200 though. But based on current pricing, maybe we will never see that.

Babrbarossa said:
I guess it's all about FPS/$ in the end though, whah?

Well, that and other things. Lower temperatures are nice to have, and the ability to use just one PCI-E connector. In the end though, I think what most people are concerned about are FPS, heh.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
hey Rob, erm would it be possible to highlight the Grafixcard/processor/Mobo being tested to be highlight among the Bar Graph or bar chart thingy?! it would be really really good if they be highlighted, hehe! TC

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sorry about that... I meant to. I was in such a mad rush to just get the article prepared for posting, that I forgot to highlight them during the creation of the graphs.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Thanks for the article Rob....this will probably replace my 7900GS (that needs new coolant for the tidewater but I don't want to mess with coolant and watercooling in general)

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
@On_Wisconsin
'Intel Core 2 *Duo* Q6600@ 2.44GHz, Gigabyte DS3-965P, Corsair XMS2 4GB @ 667MHz, eVGA 7900GS KO, WD Caviar 250GB, Vista Home Premium x64, Samsung 226BW and Logitech x-540

Laptop: P-DC 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB Core SSD'

erm.... i think its the Q6600 Core 2 *Quad* not Duo. just correcting, hehe!

Last edited: