Even With Windows 7, Consumers Can Downgrade to XP

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When Microsoft launched Windows Vista, it became clear fairly quickly that it wasn't going to unseat Windows XP as the dominate OS. Over two years later, that's still the case, and nothing's going to change. Because of how things have played out, Microsoft has extended Windows XP's life multiple times, and it looks like things aren't going to change at all with the launch of Windows 7.

Despite the hype that Windows 7 is receiving (and for good reason), it looks like that upon launch, customers will have the option of downgrading to Windows XP, just like they are now able to with Windows Vista. Of course, this is going to be on a per-vendor basis, and not everyone has to agree to this policy (from what I understand). The fact that these vendors could charge you for a downgrade remains a real possibility as well, since the same thing is currently happening with Vista.

I find it a little odd that this is still in their policy, however, because it should be assumed that Windows 7 is going to deliver the goods that people are looking for. If people know in advance that the option to downgrade to a nine-year-old OS is an option, it can make some a little skeptical. Either way, I guess it is good to have an option, no matter how strange it may be.

windows_xp_sp3_box_040709.jpg

The plan, according to the spokesperson, is still to terminate all sales of Windows XP by June 2010 at the earliest. Microsoft announced this plan about a year ago. The spokesperson also declined to comment on, or reject the possibility that XP netbook customers would be given incentives to upgrade to Windows 7.

Source: DailyTech

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Well, we should have the option as to what OS we would want, WE are the consumer and should dictate our preferences, instead of just taking what is offered
That's just my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Well, we should have the option as to what OS we would want, WE are the consumer and should dictate our preferences, instead of just taking what is offered
That's just my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it

I agree with you 100% on that but after using Vista everyday for as long as I have, I see little reason anymore to stick with XP for anything.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
There's also the issue of MS ending support for XP... they will still provide security updates for a few years after that, but why would you want an OS that won't see anything except security patches?

DX10 hasn't taken off, but DX11 is also right around the corner. XP isn't and never will be optimized for SSDs. It doesn't even write to Sector 1. It begins with writes to sector 63 which is in the middle a page table, further exacerbating that can of worms. Even Vista was optimised to write to the beginning of a flash drive.

I agree with you 100% on that but after using Vista everyday for as long as I have, I see little reason anymore to stick with XP for anything.

Laptops, netbooks, budget systems or even Atom-powered systems... Vista would drive a person insane on those. I'm looking forward to W7 going live, I'll definitely be comparing Vista and W7 on my laptop just to see the differences... before I reimage it back to XP.